Do all things have a destination?

• Thread starter Brin
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of destiny and whether all things have a predetermined destination. The example of a ball being kicked and sitting in a garage forever is used to question if it still has a destiny. The conversation also touches on the idea of human destiny and whether our choices can alter the future or if it is predetermined.
Brin
I know this is a vague question, but I was thinking today about some "Physics" stuff, particularly certain round objects, and certain inclined planes.

It all began with the standard - I assume that the ball is "destined" to reach the bottom of the ramp, and calculate accordingly. Then I thought, well, what if someone comes up and KICKS the ball - does this mean that I was wrong about its destiny? Yeah, definitely. Does this mean it was destined, still, for something? Yeah! The kid who kicked the ball KNEW that the ball was destined for another location besides the end of the ramp, so technically the ball was still destined for something... And still, let's say the ball is sitting in some location, is it still destined for some "THING" in the future? Yeah...

Then I thought, what if the ball just SITS in this imaginative garage FOREVER? Literally, that thing just sits there for-****ing-ever. Is it destined then? Well... I guess it's destined to sit there forever... right? That's its destiny.

Note now, that we have always had some pre-conceived notion of "destination." In fact, my feeble mind can't conceive of a single situation in which there ISN'T a "destination" of some sort.

So, do all things have a destination? If they do, does this mean that we, as humans have some place we are headed? Some ends?

Thanks for any time!

Physics news on Phys.org
well i don't think the ball was destined to be moved i think it's fate was to be moved but meh... after the fact that it was infact moved i assume you could argue both ways.

but the question of do humans have some place we are headed, depends on your view. Do you think that human choices can alter the future or do you believe the future is set in stone?

The first would be known as determinism the latter is fatalism.
With that being said humans necessarily have 'some ends' or a place 'we are headed' but this 'ends' is either changing as we make choices OR the choices etc. are already determined therefore the future is never changing.

I cannot definitively answer whether all things have a destination. This is a philosophical and metaphysical question that has been debated for centuries. However, from a scientific perspective, we can say that all things have a potential trajectory or path based on their initial conditions and the laws of physics that govern their behavior.

In the case of the ball on the inclined plane, we can predict its motion based on its initial velocity, the angle of the ramp, and the force of gravity. However, if an external force, such as a kick, is applied to the ball, this changes its trajectory and therefore its destination. This does not mean that the ball was never destined for the bottom of the ramp, but rather that its destiny was altered by an external force.

The concept of destiny is also tied to the concept of determinism, which states that all events, including human actions, are ultimately determined by previous causes. In this sense, one could argue that we are destined for certain ends based on our genetics, upbringing, and environment. However, as humans, we also have the ability to make choices and alter our path, which complicates the idea of destiny.

In the case of the ball sitting in the garage forever, one could argue that its destiny is to remain there indefinitely. However, this raises questions about the concept of time and whether something can truly have a destiny if it is not subject to change or progression.

Ultimately, the concept of destiny is a complex and philosophical one that cannot be definitively answered by science. It is up to each individual to interpret and contemplate the idea of destiny in their own way.

1. What is the definition of "destination" in this context?

In this context, a destination refers to a specific endpoint or goal that an object or system is meant to reach or achieve.

2. Are destinations predetermined or can they change?

This is a complex question as it depends on various factors such as the laws of physics, the actions of individuals, and random events. In some cases, destinations may be predetermined, while in others they may change due to external influences.

3. Do all things, including non-living objects, have a destination?

No, not all things have a destination. Non-living objects, such as rocks or water, do not have the ability to actively strive towards a specific endpoint or goal.

4. Can destinations be reached or achieved?

Yes, destinations can be reached or achieved. However, the ability to reach a destination depends on various factors such as the capabilities of the object or system, external influences, and the feasibility of the goal itself.

5. Is the concept of destination applicable to abstract ideas or concepts?

Yes, the concept of destination can also be applied to abstract ideas or concepts. For example, a company may have the destination of increasing profits, while an individual may have the destination of achieving inner peace. In these cases, the destination is not a physical endpoint, but rather a metaphorical or conceptual goal.