Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do animals have umbilical cords?

1. Sep 17, 2005 #1

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If they do, why can't we find Ms. Mimi's belly button?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2005 #2

matthyaouw

Gold Member

All mammals do according to this: http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/may97/863469598.Zo.r.html

Quite why you can't find (what I presume to be) your cat's, I don't know. Come to think of it, I've never noticed my guinea pigs' either.

4. Sep 18, 2005 #3
  5. Sep 18, 2005 #4

somasimple

Gold Member

6. Sep 18, 2005 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

All placental mammals have an umbilical cord during fetal development. You won't find a clear belly button like humans have (it might be more interesting to ask why humans get such a distinct belly button "scar" that other mammals don't get), but there will be a small, usually flat, scar with lighter coloration than the skin around it. Typically it's hidden under fur.

7. Sep 18, 2005 #6

cronxeh

Gold Member

So wait animals dont have to cut an umbilical cord, right? Does it just tear off by itself?

8. Sep 18, 2005 #7
    Most of the time the cord tears off by itself. Animals that birth standing up will tear the cord on the way out/down. I have seen a litter of kittens where the cords stayed attached to several kittens for what appeared to be a couple of days. They were all wrapped up on various body parts and it was hard to cut them apart.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?