Do any of you guys study philosophy?

In summary, I think that philosophy is the most interesting academic discipline and it's broad and far-reaching.
stjimmy
Hey do any of you guys study philosophy or wish to?
Do you study something else and wish you studied philosophy instead?
I think that philosophy is the most interisting of all the academic displines that there are and definately the most broad and far reaching of them
also what can or you will do with your degeree in philosophy

Physics news on Phys.org
stjimmy said:
What can you do with a degree in philosophy
Become a philosophy professor.

That's about it I think.

Although I did work with a few fellows who had Ph.D.s in philosophy once. But that was only when I was down and out and had to do grunt work between careers. :biggrin:

Here's a thread where PF members talked about their philosphy background.

Hey but what do you think about it to study it?
I mean is it really just buttering no bread?
heh?

I studied Philosophy and I find mainstream philosophy to be obsolete and invalid. For example, many of the philosophical questions, such as if we have free will, have already been answered by sciences such as evolutionary psychology and neurobiology. Then the ponderings about the various morality systems again have been scientifically discussed and explained in Evolutionary Psychology. Philosophers are too behind and are not catching up with the latest findings, they are stuck in the past, perhaps because of nostalgic reasons, lack of mathematical and reasoning abilities, or close-mindedness where new sciences are automatically rejected.

Scientific Method said:
Philosophers are too behind and are not catching up with the latest findings, they are stuck in the past, perhaps because of nostalgic reasons, lack of mathematical and reasoning abilities, or close-mindedness where new sciences are automatically rejected.

Please state whether this is your opinion, or provide your evidence of this claim.

Many of the philosophical questions -- such as that of free will -- are not yet resolved, and may never will be. You don't go into philosophy seeking answers; it should be quite the contrary.

As for a "lack of mathematical reasoning", there are many philosophers who have strong mathematical backgrounds.

I've studied lots of philosophy. (Depends on the philosophical system you are talking about with regards to volition [freewill.] Generally speaking, one cannot deny volition without using volition--because denial and acceptence derive from "proof and disproof" which requires validation which is derived from volition. Determinism is the denial of volition, 'tis self-contradictory. But that's another issue entirely.)

Philosophy is really important for living and a study of it is worthwhile. A career in philosophy is also possible.

1. What is the purpose of studying philosophy?

The purpose of studying philosophy is to gain a deeper understanding of fundamental questions about existence, knowledge, values, and reason. It also allows individuals to develop critical thinking skills and to engage in meaningful discussions about these topics.

2. Is studying philosophy a practical pursuit?

While studying philosophy may not have immediate practical applications, it can enhance one's ability to think critically, communicate effectively, and make informed decisions. These skills can be valuable in various fields, including law, business, and education.

3. How is philosophy different from other fields of study?

Philosophy is a broad and interdisciplinary field that seeks to answer fundamental questions about the nature of reality and human existence. Unlike other fields, philosophy does not focus on one specific subject matter but rather explores various topics through critical thinking and logical analysis.

4. What are the main branches of philosophy?

The main branches of philosophy are metaphysics, epistemology, ethics, logic, and aesthetics. Metaphysics deals with the nature of reality, epistemology focuses on knowledge and belief, ethics examines moral principles and values, logic studies reasoning and argumentation, and aesthetics explores beauty and art.

5. How can studying philosophy benefit society?

Studying philosophy can benefit society by promoting critical thinking, ethical reasoning, and open-mindedness. It can also inspire individuals to question societal norms and challenge unjust systems, leading to social progress and positive change.