Understanding Black Hole Equations Conceptually

In summary: So it's more accurate to say that R is the distance from the center of the black hole to the point where the circumference of the black hole meets the surface.
Ryan Jackson
I get how to derive black hole equations mathematically. But conceptually, how does it make sense that the radius of a black hole is 2MG/c^2, for example?

Physics news on Phys.org
A conceptual, albeit incomplete way to understand why the radius of a black hole can be considered as what you stated is by considering that if nothing can escape a black hole (not really!), then the escape velocity of any particle from a black hole must be the speed of light which is the limiting speed. With this in mind the calculation is not very difficult to derive and can be done using familiar concepts in Newtonian mechanics.

Ryan Jackson said:
I get how to derive black hole equations mathematically.

Do you? The actual field equations are incredibly difficult to solve even for the simplest examples. Just look at this derivation of the Schwarzschild solution: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deriving_the_Schwarzschild_solution

Ryan Jackson said:
But conceptually, how does it make sense that the radius of a black hole is 2MG/c^2, for example?

As far as I understand, Schwarzschild found a solution to Einstein's field equations that gave the gravitational field surrounding a non-rotating, spherically symmetric body. One of the terms of this solution has the form ##\frac{1}{2m-r}## where ##m=\frac{GM}{c^2}## and ##r## is the distance from the center of the body.
The Schwarzschild radius is the value for ##r## such that this term becomes singular (undefined). This occurs when ##r=\frac{2GM}{c^2}## and the terms on the bottom of the fraction subtract to zero.

That's about the best I can do to explain why the Schwarzschild radius is what it is.

Ryan Jackson said:
I get how to derive black hole equations mathematically. But conceptually, how does it make sense that the radius of a black hole is 2MG/c^2, for example?

The derivation of any equation is the way you make sense of that equation. In other words, if you claim you understand the derivation that implies you understand the result. If you don't understand the result it's not possible to have understood the derivation because the result is part of the derivation!

Likes Dale
Ryan Jackson said:

R=2GM/c^2 makes perfect conceptual sense. For instance, if you work out the units GM/c^2 has the proper units to be a length. (Type G*kg/c^2= into Google, for instance, which brings up Google Calculator and computes the units for you). I suppose you're saying you don't understand the equation - fair enough, but your question isn't specific enough for me to figure out what you don't understand, what your concerns are, or even what your background is, so I don't see how I can give a more helpful answer.

Interpreting R as a "radius" isn't quite right though, unfortunately. 2*pi*R can be interpreted as a circumference, though.

Likes PeterDonis

1. What is a black hole equation?

A black hole equation is a mathematical formula that describes the properties and behavior of black holes, which are regions in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape.

2. How do black hole equations help us understand black holes conceptually?

Black hole equations provide a way for scientists to quantify and predict the behavior of black holes, helping us to understand their properties and potential effects on surrounding matter and space.

3. What are the main components of a black hole equation?

The main components of a black hole equation include the mass of the black hole, its radius or size, and the speed of light. Other factors such as the gravitational constant and the mass of surrounding objects may also be included in more complex equations.

4. How do black hole equations relate to Einstein's theory of relativity?

Black hole equations are based on Einstein's theory of general relativity, which describes the relationship between gravity, space, and time. This theory provides the foundation for understanding black holes and their behavior.

5. Are there different types of black hole equations?

Yes, there are different types of black hole equations that take into account factors such as the rotation of the black hole, the presence of electric charge, and the effects of quantum mechanics. These equations are constantly being refined and expanded upon as our understanding of black holes continues to evolve.