Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do blackholes disappear

1. Mar 22, 2008 #1
    it's been said because of hawking radiation,black hole evaporates and vanishes..but when blackhole's energy is decreased by hawking radiation,its mass is also decreased,and at some point,it will have less mass and it cannot be a blackhole and it should stop emitting hawking radiation then why we are saying blackhole vanishes?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2008 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Blackholes can be any mass (in theory) as long as the volume is sufficiently small. What happens inside a black hole is unsettled because quantum theory and gen. relativity don't work together. However, ignoring quantum theory, GR predicts that all the mass is confined to a single point, so that as it evaporates it remains a black hole.

4. Apr 8, 2008 #3
    Quantum Black Holes?

I seem to remember that I read a SCIAM article several years ago that stated that quantum black holes would have been created during the Big Bang, but have all evaporated in the billions of years since then.

5. Apr 11, 2008 #4
    Crazy idea - but suppose when they find a workable quantum gravity theory, it turns out the minimum possible mass of a charged black hole is that of the electron?

6. Apr 11, 2008 #5

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Black hole or not, the electron is the smallest charged particle there is, according to current theory.

7. Apr 12, 2008 #6
    That's the point. If it were also the smallest possible charged black hole as well, gravity and particle-physics would be happily married. But probably crazy, as I said. The smallest possible black hole more likely to be the Planck mass, very much more than that of the electron!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?