Do Broken Bones Hurt? Exploring the Pain and Experience of Fractures

• Thread starter Psinter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Broken
In summary, the conversation revolves around the question of whether fractures on bones hurt. The participants share their experiences and knowledge on the subject, discussing the presence of nerves in bones and how they may contribute to pain. They also mention instances where people may have fractures without feeling any pain, and how selective attention and internal endorphins may play a role. Overall, the consensus is that fractures on bones usually cause pain or discomfort, but there are exceptions depending on the extent and location of the fracture. The conversation also touches on the various stimuli that nerves can detect and how this may influence the experience of pain.
Psinter
Curiosity question.

I've never had a broken bone in my life. Though people I've known that have gotten fractures, say it hurts. I'm not entirely sure if it is true or if they are just exaggerating.

I don't think this question can be answered objectively. I believe any answers will be on the experience spectrum. Due to my knowledge on biology being almost nothing, I don't know if there are nerves on bones. Which begs the question:

Do fractures on bones hurt?

Biology news on Phys.org
Plenty of live cells in the bone, it is not just a piece of calcium carbonate.

Likes BillTre and Psinter
There are certainly nerves (and many other types of cells) threaded through bone tissue, bone pain is something that many conditions can cause (cancer, osteonecrosis, fractures etc). I've only fractured my shoulder luckily and that really hurt. For several weeks if I moved my arm beyond hanging straight down the side of my body there was a sharp pain, as well as a fairly regular dull ache. After about a month in a sling it was better thankfully.

Likes BillTre and Psinter
Psinter said:

Like a summanabitsch.

Likes Rubidium_71, collinsmark, HAYAO and 3 others
Psinter said:

Why don't you do an experiment and report back with your results? I wouldn't suggest trying a large bone. Perhaps your little finger? Just to see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes larry909 and Dadface
Borek said:
Plenty of live cells in the bone, it is not just a piece of calcium carbonate.
I should check my knowledge on bones then.
Ryan_m_b said:
There are certainly nerves (and many other types of cells) threaded through bone tissue, bone pain is something that many conditions can cause (cancer, osteonecrosis, fractures etc). I've only fractured my shoulder luckily and that really hurt. For several weeks if I moved my arm beyond hanging straight down the side of my body there was a sharp pain, as well as a fairly regular dull ache. After about a month in a sling it was better thankfully.
:nb) I hope it doesn't hurt anymore. Though I must say, weeks seems pretty fast. You must have good recovery :smile:.

But if nerves there are just threaded, why would it hurt? Do they get pinched or something when a bone breaks? What is the trigger there for nerves to make you feel pain?
PeroK said:
Why don't you do an experiment and report back with your results? I wouldn't suggest trying a large bone. Perhaps your little finger? Just to see.
Ha. I rather not. :-p

Psinter said:
:nb) I hope it doesn't hurt anymore. Though I must say, weeks seems pretty fast. You must have good recovery :smile:.

The shoulder recovered nicely, IIRC after 6 weeks it was pretty much back to normal aside from being the muscular equivalent to a string of spaghetti compared to my other arm. The collapsed lung was much more of a bear and some part of it never healed fully because to this day lying in certain positions for too long hurts. The lesson about not riding your brand new bike down a hill and over a big ramp at top speed however has lasted til this day.

Psinter said:
But if nerves they are just threaded, why would it hurt? Do they get pinched or something when a bone breaks? What is the trigger there for nerves to make you feel pain?

Threaded was more of a colloquial term than a literal one, nerves are more ordered than the term may imply. In any case it's a good question and a broad one. Different nerves mostly detect different stimuli (though some detect a combination), those being pressure/mechanics, temperature and chemicals. In this case the pressure being not within normal parameters is likely the main source of pain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Psinter and BillTre
There are also pain receptors.
However, this wiki article does not mention them in bone.

Likes Psinter
Ryan_m_b said:
The shoulder recovered nicely, IIRC after 6 weeks it was pretty much back to normal aside from being the muscular equivalent to a string of spaghetti compared to my other arm. The collapsed lung was much more of a bear and some part of it never healed fully because to this day lying in certain positions for too long hurts. The lesson about not riding your brand new bike down a hill and over a big ramp at top speed however has lasted til this day.
:eek: I think I would lose my stuff if that ever happened to me. Sounds scary. So many things that can go wrong with our bodies :nb). Just thinking about it... nope. Nope, nope, nope, nope.
ahno.gif

Ryan_m_b said:
Threaded was more of a colloquial term than a literal one, nerves are more ordered than the term may imply. In any case it's a good question and a broad one. Different nerves mostly detect different stimuli (though some detect a combination), those being pressure/mechanics, temperature and chemicals. In this case the pressure being not within normal parameters is likely the main source of pain.
Aha. I think Stimuli is the keyword I am looking for. Thanks.

Attachments

• ahno.gif
    ahno.gif
    298.8 KB · Views: 962
I have heard many instances of people having minor fractures (say, around the rib, toes, etc.) that they were completely unaware of until being examined (say, during an annual physical). So the short answer is that bone fractures usually cause pain or discomfort, but not necessarily. Much would depend on the extent of the fracture, which bone in which location, etc.

Last edited:
Likes larry909 and Psinter
StatGuy2000 said:
I have heard many instances of people having minor fractures (say, around the rib, toes, etc.) that were completely unaware of them until being examined (say, during an annual physical). So the short answer is that bone fractures usually causes pain or discomfort, but not necessarily. Much would depend on the extent of the fracture, which bone in which location, etc.
I see. Interesting. Could it be that I have gotten broken bones, but felt nothing and that's why I think I have never gotten a bone fracture in my life. Hmmmmm. *thinking*

People can often be injured and not be immediately aware of them.
This happens to me frequently if I am absorbed with doing something at the time. Its a matter of selective attention aand perhaps internal endophines.
It seems to be frequent in sports also.

Likes Psinter
When I get bruised during some sport activities but it doesn't hurt too much and I know where the pain comes from, I don't care too much. I suppose this way one can miss some minor injury that would show on x-ray.

Likes Psinter
I have had a number of broken bones, enough so that I can tell the pain from a break from a very bad sprain or muscle tear. I can't describe it, but it's very different, at least for me, so different that I have even correctly challenged doctors that initially misread x-rays and said there was no break. I have the deformed arm and fingers showing their mistakes which were later confirmed by orthopedic surgeons that couldn't believe that radiologists and doctors couldn't see the multiple fractures. I even had an ER doctor put a cast on the WRONG ARM. Ah, modern medicine. I now need to have the bones re-broken and surgery to try to repair the damage. Uhm, nope, not going to happen.

Likes Psinter and BillTre
My faith in doctors is limited due to similar experiences.
Once I had a glass pipette go through my finger/hand (in a lab accident) with little pieces breaking off inside.
Since it was winter break, late in the day, and there was a snowstorm outside.
I walked to the emergency room (about 6 blocks) and got treated there.
They pulled out some of the pieces but it still felt to me like something was in there.
They x-rayed it, but the doctor could see anything.
After I looked at it, I pointed out to him where it was on the x-ray and he reached in (with forceps) and grabbed it out.
Lesson to me is to trust your own body feelings.

Likes larry909 and Evo
BillTre said:
My faith in doctors is limited due to similar experiences.
Once I had a glass pipette go through my finger/hand (in a lab accident) with little pieces breaking off inside.
Since it was winter break, late in the day, and there was a snowstorm outside.
I walked to the emergency room (about 6 blocks) and got treated there.
They pulled out some of the pieces but it still felt to me like something was in there.
They x-rayed it, but the doctor could see anything.
After I looked at it, I pointed out to him where it was on the x-ray and he reached in (with forceps) and grabbed it out.
Lesson to me is to trust your own body feelings.
OUCH!

Yeah, the breaks I had was in three fingers, I went back repeatedly for 3 months to DR DEATH insisting the fingers were broken, all he did was tape them together, so they mended badly bent.

He finally sent me to the orthopedic surgeon to prove he was right and shut me up. When the surgeon walked in he put the x-rays up and pointed at them and said do you see that? And I saw all kinds of stuff. He said you have pieces of bone that's completely broken off, spiral fractures, and here, here and here, the bone is completely broken across (I can't remember the terminology) I had just about every kind of break there is, just none that broke the skin. He asked "your doctor couldn't see any of this?" I said no. My fingers had been purple and the size of sausages, one I had to turn around and pop back into place because it was pointing backwards. I switched doctors.

So yeah, broken bones HURT.

Likes Psinter, berkeman and BillTre
I only had one broken seriously bone in my life which was the result of being an over enthusiastic kid on a trampoline. (I landed outside of the trampoline).
It hurt but eventually it fixed.

Last edited:
Likes Psinter
Evo said:
OUCH!

Yeah, the breaks I had was in three fingers, I went back repeatedly for 3 months to DR DEATH insisting the fingers were broken, all he did was tape them together, so they mended badly bent.

He finally sent me to the orthopedic surgeon to prove he was right and shut me up. When the surgeon walked in he put the x-rays up and pointed at them and said do you see that? And I saw all kinds of stuff. He said you have pieces of bone that's completely broken off, spiral fractures, and here, here and here, the bone is completely broken across (I can't remember the terminology) I had just about every kind of break there is, just none that broke the skin. He asked "your doctor couldn't see any of this?" I said no. My fingers had been purple and the size of sausages, one I had to turn around and pop back into place because it was pointing backwards. I switched doctors.

So yeah, broken bones HURT.

You must have had very bad luck with incompetent doctors!

My son broke a collar bone some years ago. These days they don't strap you up just give you a sling. That night we found him asleep on his back...with both hands behind his head. I guess it didn't hurt too much.

Likes Psinter
I broke my left arm just below the shoulder about 20 years ago, by slipping and falling in rain on an artificial cobbled driveway at my mother's house which had just been newly installed with a gloss sealant finish (despite the fact that the contract said matt non-slip finish).

Although the arm hurt very badly, the pain seemed to come from the elbow area, not the upper arm. I don't know whether this is because of "referred pain", that is feeling the pain in the wrong place, or whether it was because the worst pain was not from the break location.

I suspect in most cases when one breaks a bone, there is also damage to other tissues, so it is not easy to tell whether the bone itself is sending any signals. My own feeling is that there is little or no signal from the broken bone itself.

In my case I didn't know I'd broken it immediately, and I couldn't find anything specific wrong in the elbow area. I had difficulty sleeping, and it was still bad the next morning (and my arm had turned purple), so my wife drove me to hospital and they X-rayed it, showing a cartoon-style zig-zag break just below the head of the humerus. I suspect much of my pain was from the damage being done by those zig-zag ends. They gave me a sling, and it mostly healed fine, but it seems there was quite a bit of other damage as well as the bone, and it needed a lot of physiotherapy to get back my original range of movement (just in time to perform a solo viola work with orchestra, although I had to remain sitting for early rehearsals so I could support my left elbow using my left knee). Even after that I could no longer sleep with that arm up by my head until many years later, because something seemed to have healed short and didn't allow me to lift my arm to the usual angle.

Likes Psinter
Jonathan Scott said:
Although the arm hurt very badly, the pain seemed to come from the elbow area, not the upper arm. I don't know whether this is because of "referred pain", that is feeling the pain in the wrong place, or whether it was because the worst pain was not from the break location.
Sounds like referred pain to me.

Several years ago, I tripped, fell, and broke my forearm, up near the elbow. The pain was terrific. So I can definitely answer, "yes, broken bones hurt."

Psinter said:
Curiosity question.

ZapperZ said:
i.e. there aren't anything deeper or requiring further understanding.

I concur with the other posters, it hurts like hell! All the other soft/connective tissue response associated with trauma/ fracture comes into play too

Likes Psinter
Jonathan Scott said:
I suspect in most cases when one breaks a bone, there is also damage to other tissues, so it is not easy to tell whether the bone itself is sending any signals.
I was thinking the same before asking
yes-raccoon-emoticon-gif.gif
. I was thinking the impact and surrounded damage was the pain that people complained about. Though I suppose some may come from the bone itself after seeing there are nerves there. Even though I don't know how much.
Dr.D said:
Several years ago, I tripped, fell, and broke my forearm, up near the elbow. The pain was terrific. So I can definitely answer, "yes, broken bones hurt."
For a while there, I thought terrific was a good feeling. :oldlaugh:

Attachments

• yes-raccoon-emoticon-gif.gif
    yes-raccoon-emoticon-gif.gif
    5.3 KB · Views: 481
Psinter said:
For a while there, I thought terrific was a good feeling. :oldlaugh:

Well, not so in this case!

I broke both bones in the lower right leg when I was around 10 yrs old. Got T-boned by a car when I was on my push bike ( my fault)
The actual fractures didn't hurt at all, in fact there was a certain amount of numbness from below the fractures and down into the foot

The painful parts were where the bruising and skin loss were due to the impact

On the other hand, I could well imagine dreadful pain caused by compound fractures, where bone separates and can often pierce surrounding
tissue and outer skin.
( I won't show photos ... they are pretty gory )

Dave

Likes Psinter
davenn said:
I broke both bones in the lower right leg when I was around 10 yrs old. Got T-boned by a car when I was on my push bike ( my fault)
On the other hand, I could well imagine dreadful pain caused by compound fractures, where bone separates and can often pierce surrounding
tissue and outer skin.
( I won't show photos ... they are pretty gory )

Dave
Bones are more bendy when you are younger as there is a cartilage element that is replaced by done as you get older
I can’t remember the ages exactly (they can use to determine ages of diseased in forensics)
The bone can bend as well as fracture (like you get with a green stick rather than a dead twig) which can lead to a deformity if not splinted correctly.
It all sounds nasty (and very painful)
I broke my big toe and that was bad enough
I tried to find something on YT to post to illustrate how a sportsman in peak condition, hard dense muscle, young, used to tough contact etc reacts to a sudden fracture/compound fracture
Mistake, I advise against a similar search, suffice to say sportsmen get just as upset as normal people when they break a bone.

Likes Psinter
The two I've had gave a peculiar burning sensation that persisted after the bruising went down, which took a couple days. For me a sprain aches but a break burns.

Likes Psinter
Yes, they can be, I fractured my ankle during cheer practice and would still periodically experience aching pains at the fracture for many years afterwards. I recall especially while walking.

I fractured my outermost metacarpal on my right hand along with my pinky finger, both are still crooked. I can say I didn't feel much pain but had swelling as the bones were trying to re-mineralize.

Psinter said:
I don't know if there are nerves on bones.

Pain almost always comes from stimulating specialized sensory neurons in the peripheral nervous system called nociceptors. It is difficult, but not impossible, to have pain arising from brain activity without nociceptor activation.

Sara Nencini and Jason J. Ivanusic
The Physiology of Bone Pain. How Much Do We Really Know?
Front Physiol. 2016; 7: 157

https://doi.org/10.3389/fphys.2016.00157

Jason J. Ivanusic
Molecular Mechanisms That Contribute to Bone Marrow Pain
Front Neurol 2017; 8: 458
https://doi.org/10.3389/fneur.2017.00458

Likes Psinter
When I broke my left hip. I was amazed at the pain that controlled me on whether I could exist anymore. Or even lay down anymore.
Took a awhile to learn to walk again. Let alone hold up a motorcycle and ride it.

You learn basic physics like your hip is the base to all other movement functions. Going to the bathroom can be a Indiana Jones type of adventure. Stairs are impossible to use. Even laying down is not comfy cozy without heavy dosage of morphine like drugs.

So from personal experience. Yeah. It hurts.

Likes pinball1970
The bone structure doesn't contain neurotransmitters itself but the body tissues near the fracture site. Soft tissue refer to the muscles, ligaments, nerves, tendons and blood vessels, joint cartilage, etc. that surround the bone. The level of pain would depend upon where the fracture is located, how the fracture bone is anatomically involved on the daily regular movements of the body and what type of fracture has been produced.

Pain killers act over the tissues surrounding the bone, not over the bone.

Likes Psinter and pinball1970

1. What causes broken bones to hurt?

Broken bones hurt because they are a result of damage to the bone tissue and surrounding nerves. When a bone breaks, the nerve endings in the bone and nearby tissues are stimulated, sending pain signals to the brain.

2. How long does the pain from a broken bone last?

The duration of pain from a broken bone can vary depending on the severity and location of the fracture, as well as individual factors such as pain tolerance. In general, the pain can last for a few weeks to a few months as the bone heals.

3. Can broken bones hurt even after they have healed?

Yes, it is possible for broken bones to continue causing pain even after they have healed. This is known as chronic pain and can be caused by nerve damage, joint stiffness, or other complications from the fracture.

4. How can I manage the pain from a broken bone?

To manage the pain from a broken bone, your doctor may prescribe pain medication or recommend over-the-counter pain relievers. Other methods such as ice therapy, compression, and elevation can also help alleviate pain and swelling.

5. Is the pain from a broken bone different for children and adults?

Yes, the experience of pain from a broken bone can differ between children and adults. Children typically have more flexible bones and may experience less pain from a fracture, while adults may have more severe pain due to their bones being more rigid and less able to absorb the impact of the injury.