Do elastic waves carry momentum?

In summary, the discussion revolves around the concept of waves and their physical momentum. There is uncertainty about the type of wave being referred to and the idea that not all waves necessarily carry momentum. Reference is made to a book which states that waves can act as if they have momentum, but the meaning of this is unclear.
aaaa202

Homework Statement

Its not really a problem - more like a question my teacher asked us.

Homework Equations

My problem is that in my opinion the wave concept is quite vague. Are we talking about a single narrow pulse propagating through the medium or collective vibrations of all the atoms in the solid? If all atoms are performing simple harmonic motion then the momentum averaged over one period is 0. But who says all waves in solids are like this, i.e. when you release a spring a single longitudional wave travels down the spring and it obviously carries momentum. What do you think my teacher referred to when he said elastic waves?

The Attempt at a Solution

Edit: I looked it up in my book and it said waves (which kind I don't know) carry no physical momentum but act as if they had momentum p=hbar*k. What is that supposed to mean!?

Physics news on Phys.org
http://silverdialogues.fas.nyu.edu/docs/IO/24452/peskin.pdf
tldr: it depends.

Travelling waves generally carry energy and momentum without net movement of the medium... but not all waves do. A purely transverse mechanical wave, for eg, would not. see p23 of the link.

1. Do elastic waves carry momentum?

Yes, elastic waves do carry momentum. This is because elastic waves are a type of mechanical wave, which means they transfer energy through the motion of particles. As the particles vibrate back and forth, they also transfer momentum to adjacent particles, causing the wave to propagate.

2. How is momentum transferred by elastic waves?

Momentum is transferred by elastic waves through the movement of the particles in the medium. As the particles vibrate, they collide with adjacent particles and transfer momentum to them. This process continues, causing the wave to travel through the medium.

3. Can elastic waves carry momentum through a vacuum?

No, elastic waves cannot carry momentum through a vacuum. This is because a vacuum has no particles for the wave to transfer momentum to. Elastic waves require a medium, such as a solid, liquid, or gas, to propagate.

4. How does the momentum of an elastic wave compare to other types of waves?

The momentum of an elastic wave is different from other types of waves, such as electromagnetic waves. While electromagnetic waves can travel through a vacuum, elastic waves require a medium. Additionally, the momentum of an elastic wave is transferred through the movement of particles, while electromagnetic waves transfer energy through oscillating electric and magnetic fields.

5. What is the relationship between the momentum and frequency of an elastic wave?

The momentum of an elastic wave is directly proportional to its frequency. This means that as the frequency of the wave increases, so does its momentum. This relationship is described by the equation p = hf, where p is momentum, h is Planck's constant, and f is the frequency of the wave.