Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do fish-

1. Nov 2, 2006 #1

wolram

Gold Member

Do fish----

Break wind, when looking at them in aquariums i have never seen bubbles coming from that end, so may be their digestive system works differently.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2006 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

It is well known that fish have shy bowels. They will not break wind while you are watching.

4. Nov 2, 2006 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

All seriousness aside, fish don't have much of an opportunity to get air into their digestive system, mostly they get water.

That being said, they do sometimes get air into their systems, especially if they eat at the surface. I ahve seen my poor little neon tetras fighting desperately to maintain neutral bouyancy after a particularly piggish meal. They have to swim straight down vigorously and continuously to stay in one place.

5. Nov 3, 2006 #4

Danger

Gold Member

I'm pretty sure that's why baraccuda are so fast; their eating habits give them jet propulsion.

6. Nov 3, 2006 #5

wolram

Gold Member

Danger, you are just so far behind, you should be on the ghost cam case by now.

7. Nov 3, 2006 #6
    Then whales must have a steam engine:rofl:

8. Nov 3, 2006 #7

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wolram, I watched QI this very evening. Apparently (according to Steven Fry) herrings are the only fish seen to have had bubbles coming out of their anuses. However, he said it wasn't gastric gases, but emissions from the creature's buoyancy bladder.

9. Nov 3, 2006 #8

Danger

Gold Member

I read it already; there just wasn't anything for me to contribute. I'd have a shotgun, not a camera, wired into the sound detector.

10. Nov 3, 2006 #9

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There was an interesting point on Qi a couple of weeks back which was that kangaroos cannot fart because they have special bacteria in the gut that either neutralise the gases or stop them being produced in the first place. They're hoping to use this to stop cows from emiting greenhouse gasses in an atempt to stop global warming so we can all still use cars.

Sounds good to me.

11. Nov 3, 2006 #10

wolram

Gold Member

No, no, no, this tampering with nature has gone to far, can you imagine the taste of meat from a fartless cow, i for one will be out in the field with my placard saying allow cows thier flatulence.:approve:

12. Nov 3, 2006 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1). Where does the carbon in the cow's gas come from?

2). Where did the carbon in that come from?

And then you have to factor in the carbon that went towards making the cow.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2006
  13. Nov 4, 2006 #12

wolram

Gold Member

I did hear, on the grape vine, that the union of ovbovs were thinking on a
    march to London, to protest about humans polluting the countryside.

14. Nov 4, 2006 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I keep telling you not to confuse grape plants with telephones. You had better clean out your ear.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?