Do girls like men with beards?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of whether or not women like men with beards. Some individuals have personal preferences and opinions, while others believe it may depend on factors such as grooming and style. The conversation also touches on the convenience and dislike of shaving, as well as alternative facial hair styles. Overall, it is concluded that personal taste and fashion may play a role in whether or not women are attracted to men with beards.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed

Physics news on Phys.org

My wife likes my beard.

wolram said:

Some do. Some dont. Its kind of like asking do guys like girls with brown hair. Some do. Some dont.

I wore a goatee for about a year because it was easier and quicker for getting ready in the morning for work. In that time I was hit on by one or two women. I just shaved my goatee the other week and in just that time I have been hit on by maybe half a dozen women.

It likely depends on the person, the style of the facial hair, and probably most importantly how well groomed the facial hair is. Over all though I am pretty sure most women prefer no facial hair.

Ask Astronuc :smile:.

I think i would look like farther xmas if i refrained from shaving for a month.

wolram said:
I know several - although in some cases, it's despite the beard.

Astronuc said:
I know several - although in some cases, it's despite the beard.
Now that we've heard from the authority of beards IMO, this thread should be done. :devil:

I think it's a kissing issue. There are plenty of Hollywood hunks with scruff beards. Personally I look like I'm 18 without one.

I like facial hair on men:!) kind of makes them look more rugged. Shaving is so time consuming, I dislike when a man spends more time in the bathroom then me.

I'm definitely not a fan facial hair. Well...it's OK if I'm just looking :wink:.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2011/02/pictures/110225-otzi-iceman-new-face-science-mummy-oetzi/
:biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:

Greg Bernhardt said:
I think it's a kissing issue. There are plenty of Hollywood hunks with scruff beards. Personally I look like I'm 18 without one.

:rofl:

This is my problem as well! Perhaps this goes a ways to explain a rather ancient Greek proverb:

"There are two types of people that go around beardless; boys and women, and I am neither."

I had a mustache for 30+ years, but I shaved if for Evo.

You've noticed she hasn't reply in here. [STRIKE]I know what she likes.[/STRIKE]

Edit: Added strike out. Facial hair knowledge. I don't want any misunderstanding here.

Astronuc said:
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2011/02/pictures/110225-otzi-iceman-new-face-science-mummy-oetzi/
:biggrin:
You know how you changed the title of the "Beer Connoisseur" thread to "Craft Beers, Microbreweries and Homebrewing"?

I can see maybe this one becoming "Craft Beards, Professional Beard Care and DIY Beards". :biggrin:

Keeping my eye on this one. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:

I hate shaving and I hate having a beard. I shave because I hate that less.

Jimmy Snyder said:

Hmmm... given that, you may want to take a peek at Badger & Blade... a fine shaving site. I tend to go between bearded and not, but I find the best shaving setup is:

Spend the 30-50 USD on a decent, but not Tiffany, badger bristle brush. After that, treat yourself to Mitchell's Wool Fat shaving soap, but stick with the high tech razor. Your face will thank you!

Jimmy Snyder said:
You sound like this fellow I worked with. He told me he seriously thought about having every hair follicle on his face cauterized. And he was serious since he hated shaving so much.

My imaginary girlfriend does too

I don't like beards or mustaches, but I like a bit scruffy.

I have a beard. Most girls don't care if I have a beard or not because I'm an engineering nerd and that automatically makes them not want to date me so the beard is mute.

Topher925 said:
I have a beard. Most girls don't care if I have a beard or not because I'm an engineering nerd and that automatically makes them not want to date me so the beard is mute.
Some men can pull off wearing a beard if it's closely trimmed.

flyingpig said:
My imaginary girlfriend does too

Guess we have something in common:rofl: sometimes i wonder if am too old for having an imaginary girlfriend are they more convenient then the real ones?(i never had and probably will never have one either).

dlgoff said:
You sound like this fellow I worked with. He told me he seriously thought about having every hair follicle on his face cauterized. And he was serious since he hated shaving so much.

I can sympathise with the fellow you worked with, i just so much hate shaving, i think i would have mine cauterized too.

Evo said:
Some men can pull off wearing a beard if it's closely trimmed.

So these guys are out, huh?

Shaz.jpg

Way too much worm-beard for my taste. I've been clean-shaven since 1982.

It's always a matter of personal taste, but it seems to me most women don't like beards. But then again, a few decades ago, beards were pretty much "in", and I don't believe most men would wear beards if most women didn't like them, so it could be a matter of fashion too, perhaps.

I never grew a full beard, because my beard is not uniform enough, so it looks "dirty". I only had a goatee for a while, but that was pretty long ago.

I like my face clean, I usually shave daily as part of the morning routine.

Does pubic hair count?... if so I'd weigh in with a strong "yech" :smile:

I never did like shaving. It made no sense to me.

I haven't shaved in since the last week of May, 1981. :approve:

My profile picture was taken about 1980, and I had stopped shaving in 1977. I met my wife in 1980.

In May 1981, I was looking for a job on an offshore oilrig. I was told to cut my hair and shave. Basically, the don't like a lot of hair which could get covered in oil and present a safety hazard if there was a well blowout. I found a construction job onshore that paid pretty well, so I stopped shaving and grew my hair long. Basically, I don't see the point of shaving or getting a hair cut.

nismaratwork said:
Hmmm... given that, you may want to take a peek at Badger & Blade... a fine shaving site. I tend to go between bearded and not, but I find the best shaving setup is:

Spend the 30-50 USD on a decent, but not Tiffany, badger bristle brush. After that, treat yourself to Mitchell's Wool Fat shaving soap, but stick with the high tech razor. Your face will thank you!

There is also Straightrazorplace which is like badger and blade, I would suggest changing the Mitchell's woolfat(although it is a very good soap) to Domenico Caraceni cream and the high tech razor to a low tech vintage straight, I find those shaves far more enjoyable. Especially if your one to let the scruff grow a few days between shaves, a straight will cut anything from full beards to one days growth without any hesitation the same can't be said of those high tech razors, not to mention that a straight is a one time expense while the high tech razors are a continuing investment.

Jasongreat said:
There is also Straightrazorplace which is like badger and blade, I would suggest changing the Mitchell's woolfat(although it is a very good soap) to Domenico Caraceni cream and the high tech razor to a low tech vintage straight, I find those shaves far more enjoyable. Especially if your one to let the scruff grow a few days between shaves, a straight will cut anything from full beards to one days growth without any hesitation the same can't be said of those high tech razors, not to mention that a straight is a one time expense while the high tech razors are a continuing investment.

True, but a straight razor will do much the same to your face or throat if you sneeze. I find that a combination of a trimmer if needed, and then a normal shave is much the same, minus the upkeep.

I've used Caraceni, and it's great, but for my skin it seems Mitchel's is the wazy to go. I'm not sure that there is one "right" soap.

Astronuc said:
I never did like shaving. It made no sense to me.

I haven't shaved in since the last week of May, 1981. :approve:

My profile picture was taken about 1980, and I had stopped shaving in 1977. I met my wife in 1980.

In May 1981, I was looking for a job on an offshore oilrig. I was told to cut my hair and shave. Basically, the don't like a lot of hair which could get covered in oil and present a safety hazard if there was a well blowout. I found a construction job onshore that paid pretty well, so I stopped shaving and grew my hair long. Basically, I don't see the point of shaving or getting a hair cut.

Lord... if you and my mother ever met, my life would be over. Two techno-hippies. :biggrin:

I prefer a guy with no facial hair, but very few guys can actually pull off facial hair. A little scruff can be cute, if done right. It can make the guy look rugged even if he may be metro :)

nismaratwork said:
True, but a straight razor will do much the same to your face or throat if you sneeze. I find that a combination of a trimmer if needed, and then a normal shave is much the same, minus the upkeep.

I've used Caraceni, and it's great, but for my skin it seems Mitchel's is the wazy to go. I'm not sure that there is one "right" soap.

I used to use soap while shaving my legs, then I went to shaving foam. Recently I tried a non-foaming shave cream and I'll never go back!1! Even in these last few days of temps down to the teens, my skin has stayed normal - no dry itch. I don't know if a similar product is made for men, but compared to soap...well, there is no comparison. Shave cream, that's the stuff!

Ah dang, who cares if it's not intended for men! It doesn't smell flowery, it smells like soap. Click on "Moisturizing Cream Shave"...aaaaah, that's the stuff:

http://www.skintimate.com/