Are You a Do-Gooder? Examining Freedom of Speech

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary: I don't know. It's a slippery slope.In summary, free speech is a right, but there are limits to it. Hate speech should not be protected, as it is a harmful action.
All i can say is that do gooders do not want the responsibility to make a decision, they are weak and cowardly, they will support any law written or not.

Physics news on Phys.org
passive-aggressive much?

wolram said:
All i can say is that do gooders do not want the responsibility to make a decision, they are weak and cowardly, they will support any law written or not.
I am not really sure what you mean by this term 'do gooder'. I mean, I know what I mean by it, but the way you use it makes little sense. To me, a 'do gooder' is more referring to discrete acts by an individual.

"You should stop using zat word. I do not sink it means what you sink it means."
-Inigo Montoya

misgfool said:
Isn't this also applicable to Soviet Union or any other dictatorship? I would still prefer to live in a western democracy than the USSR.
Of course it's applicable. How does the preference of country factor in?

misgfool said:
Now that is a silly argument. I have also the liberty to exclude myself from your company should you be such a yelling jerk.
Yes but you shouldn't have to leave to enjoy your peace. You have a right to it there.

(Forgive me for opening the racial example can-o-worms, but...)
In the 60's, blacks wanting to eat in "regular" restaurants were told: "if you don't like it, no one's taking away your right to leave."

You can see that their rights are indeed violated despite the fact that they could merely go elsewhere.

Dave,

You're forgetting the fact that someone can file a restraining order if they felt their personal space was being violated. Limiting someones speech doesn't really solve the problem at all.

To the mentors ,I know you have thought long and hard about closing this thread, i all so know you have powers to discriminate from what is right from wrong, i hope you will allow this debate to continue as i think human resonsability is important.

Ivan Seeking said:
Here in the US, the right to free speech is fundamental but with limits. For example, you can't yell "fire" in a crowded theater, but you can yell "theater" in a crowded fire station.

Well, really, you can still yell "fire" in a crowded theater too, and as long as everyone just stares at you and thinks you're bonkers, all is good. If, however, a stampede causing injury to people and damage to property immediately follows, you can be held responsible for the damages caused by your action of shouting fire in a crowded theater. It's an important distinction that your freedom of speech isn't restricted, but rather that your freedom comes with responsibility.

DaveC426913 said:
Of course it's applicable. How does the preference of country factor in?

Just my two cents.

DaveC426913 said:
(Forgive me for opening the racial example can-o-worms, but...)

Unfortunately our lines are all full and your apology has been placed in queue. We shall process your request as soon as possible. No seriously, we are cool.

However, I'm not an english native and could only identify this "can-o-worms" as

The Can-O-Worms is an odourless, user friendly system that allows anyone to participate in recycling...

Really?

DaveC426913 said:
In the 60's, blacks wanting to eat in "regular" restaurants were told: "if you don't like it, no one's taking away your right to leave."

You can see that their rights are indeed violated despite the fact that they could merely go elsewhere.

I'm not sure about the 60's as I hadn't materialized yet, but if I remember correctly entrepreneurs have the right to choose their clients. Of course any reasonable one doesn't say no to money.

wolram said:
To the mentors ,I know you have thought long and hard about closing this thread, i all so know you have powers to discriminate from what is right from wrong, i hope you will allow this debate to continue as i think human resonsability is important.

Sir, pull yourself together. We shall expose these false gods you call "The Mentors" and let reason and sound judgment reign once more.

jimmysnyder said:
Multiquote as many people's posts as you want, but quote the last one.

Look jimmysnyder, I did it just like you always told me.

misgfool said:
I'm not sure about the 60's as I hadn't materialized yet, but if I remember correctly entrepreneurs have the right to choose their clients. Of course any reasonable one doesn't say no to money.

i guess you've never heard of a little thing called the Interstate Commerce Clause.

misgfool said:
However, I'm not an english native and could only identify this "can-o-worms" as

The Can-O-Worms is an odourless, user friendly system that allows anyone to participate in recycling...

Really?
To open a can of worms means to discuss an unpleasant topic.

Last edited:
misgfool said:
In the US, almost all businesses are considered places of http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/42/12181.text.html. If your business falls under this category, then you do not have the right to refuse service to anyone on the basis of race, creed, national origin, or a few others I can't recall.

DaveC426913 said:
I am not really sure what you mean by this term 'do gooder'. I mean, I know what I mean by it, but the way you use it makes little sense. To me, a 'do gooder' is more referring to discrete acts by an individual.

"You should stop using zat word. I do not sink it means what you sink it means."
-Inigo Montoya

mgb_phys said:
I think it's a divided by a common language thing.
In UK English - a do gooder is a self appointed authority who wants to restrict what you can do for your own good, the "won't someone think of the children" effect.

So a common headline is: council 'do gooders' ban children from throwing snowballs (in case they get hurt). It also applies to groups calling for censorship of TV / films etc.
It's normally used as a derogatrary term.

Ah. Oh.

This might explain why there is so much confusion in this tread.

The Kansas definition:

Wizard of Oz said:
Back where I come from there are men who do nothing all day but good deeds. They are called phila... er, phila... er, yes, er, Good Deed Doers.

I believe that Wollie's "Do gooders" would be referred to as "mothers" on this side of the Atlantic:

Ralphie: I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle!
Ralphie's mother: No, you'll shoot your eye out.

And I really need to clean my glasses:
misgfool said:
...and I can tell you that sailors didn't bother to blush after 16 weeks of boot camp.
I had to read this sentence twice, as the first time I read "flush".:bugeye:

<h2>1. What is "Are You a Do-Gooder? Examining Freedom of Speech" about?</h2><p>"Are You a Do-Gooder? Examining Freedom of Speech" is a scientific study that investigates the concept of freedom of speech and how it relates to individuals who are considered "do-gooders" or those who seek to promote social justice and advocate for marginalized groups.</p><h2>2. Why is freedom of speech an important topic to study?</h2><p>Freedom of speech is a fundamental human right that allows individuals to express their opinions and ideas without fear of censorship or punishment. It is important to study because it can impact the way we communicate and interact with others, as well as shape our understanding of social issues and power dynamics.</p><h2>3. How was the study conducted?</h2><p>The study used a combination of qualitative and quantitative research methods, including surveys and interviews, to gather data from individuals who identify as "do-gooders" and those who do not. The data was then analyzed and compared to identify any patterns or differences in attitudes towards freedom of speech.</p><h2>4. What were the main findings of the study?</h2><p>The study found that individuals who identify as "do-gooders" tend to have a more nuanced understanding of freedom of speech and are more likely to support the rights of marginalized groups to express their opinions. They also tend to be more aware of the potential harm that can be caused by hate speech and the importance of creating inclusive and respectful spaces for communication.</p><h2>5. How can the findings of this study be applied in real life?</h2><p>The findings of this study can be used to inform discussions and debates about freedom of speech, particularly in relation to social justice issues. It can also help individuals and organizations better understand the perspectives of "do-gooders" and how they can promote inclusive and respectful communication in their own communities and workplaces.</p>

1. What is "Are You a Do-Gooder? Examining Freedom of Speech" about?

"Are You a Do-Gooder? Examining Freedom of Speech" is a scientific study that investigates the concept of freedom of speech and how it relates to individuals who are considered "do-gooders" or those who seek to promote social justice and advocate for marginalized groups.

2. Why is freedom of speech an important topic to study?

Freedom of speech is a fundamental human right that allows individuals to express their opinions and ideas without fear of censorship or punishment. It is important to study because it can impact the way we communicate and interact with others, as well as shape our understanding of social issues and power dynamics.

3. How was the study conducted?

The study used a combination of qualitative and quantitative research methods, including surveys and interviews, to gather data from individuals who identify as "do-gooders" and those who do not. The data was then analyzed and compared to identify any patterns or differences in attitudes towards freedom of speech.

4. What were the main findings of the study?

The study found that individuals who identify as "do-gooders" tend to have a more nuanced understanding of freedom of speech and are more likely to support the rights of marginalized groups to express their opinions. They also tend to be more aware of the potential harm that can be caused by hate speech and the importance of creating inclusive and respectful spaces for communication.

5. How can the findings of this study be applied in real life?

The findings of this study can be used to inform discussions and debates about freedom of speech, particularly in relation to social justice issues. It can also help individuals and organizations better understand the perspectives of "do-gooders" and how they can promote inclusive and respectful communication in their own communities and workplaces.