Do hydrogen atoms continuously emit radiation?

In summary, the electrons in an atom do not continuously emit radiation, even in the presence of a synchrotron. This is due to the quantized energy levels of atoms, which result in stationary states where the probability distribution of the electron's position does not change with time. In cases where an electron transitions between energy levels, it may appear to be accelerating and emit radiation, but this is due to the change in its Schrödinger wave function and not a continuous emission of energy. The stability of atoms is maintained through a balance between the Coulombic potential and kinetic energy of the electrons. This concept was a major motivation for the development of quantum mechanics.
what_are_electrons
Three (3) Questions:

1. Keeping in mind the light emitted by Synchrotrons, then taking the electron as a point charge, and assuming that it orbits the proton in accord with a proper 1s type wave function, does that electron continuously emit (and/or absorb) radiation other than virtual pairs even if it is for time < 10(-18) sec?

2. If it does emit radiation, then what energy level, if any?

3. If so, from where does the atom get the energy to maintain that quantum state?

Physics news on Phys.org
Three answers:

1. If an electron is in the ground state (i.e. energy eigenstate corresponding to the lowest allowed energy level = 1s) it will not emit any energy. Realise that the electrons aren't orbiting the nucleus in any classical sense.

2. See above. Also, the radiation doesn't have an "energy level". Energy levels are different energies corresponding to some energy eigenstate, usually in an atom.

3. See answer 1, the electron does not emit any energy. You must realize that the classical equations do not apply.

what_are_electrons said:
Three (3) Questions:

3. If so, from where does the atom get the energy to maintain that quantum state?

At the most elementary level (assumed by Schrödinger's equation),the total energy of the atom is composed by the KE from the electron(s) and nucleus + the electrostatic Coulomb attraction+repulsion terms...

Daniel.

Electrons undergoing acceleration emit radiation in a synchrotron. Right? Does the electron in the hydrogen atom undergo acceleration or not? If it is being accelerated continuously, then why doesn't it emit radiation?

what_are_electrons said:
Electrons undergoing acceleration emit radiation in a synchrotron. Right?

Yes.

what_are_electrons said:
Does the electron in the hydrogen atom undergo acceleration or not?

No.Acceleration is a classical concept.It does not pertain to the quantum world,hence cannot be used in the (quantum mechanical) description of matter.

what_are_electrons said:
then why doesn't it emit radiation?

Because the energy levels are quantized...?? :confused: :wink:

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Yes.

No. Acceleration is a classical concept. It does not pertain to the quantum world,hence cannot be used in the (quantum mechanical) description of matter.

Because the energy levels are quantized...?? :confused: :wink:

Daniel.
OK. Then I should understand that the light emission by the electrons in the synchrotron is best described by QM. If so, please elaborate a bit. Thanks.

Synchrotron radiation is described with satisfactory results both at classical level (relativistic CED) and at quantum level (QED,not QM).The differences are fundamental and come from the classical,respectively quantum description of both the particles accelerated and of light.

This is the simplest picture it can be given under these circumstances.

Jackson's book and a book on QED (e.g.Ahiezer & Berestetzkyy,Jauch & Rohrlich) could provide the necessary (mathematical) details and the physical interpretation of results.

Daniel.

I thought everything, hot or cold, emits radiation.

Aki said:
I thought everything, hot or cold, emits radiation.

I know what u're referring to,but the discussion was around quantized energy levels of atoms and the electrons being in pure stationary states in which they do not emit any radiation (classical or quantized) whatsoever.Atoms are neither cold,nor hot...

Daniel.

what_are_electrons said:
Does the electron in the hydrogen atom undergo acceleration or not?

In QM, we usually make the connection with classical physics by way of expectation values of physical quantities. When the electron is in one of hydrogen's "energy levels," it is in what we call a stationary state, in which the probability distribution of the electron's position does not change with time. This means that the expectation value of position, <x>, does not change with time. In that sense, we can say that an electron in a particular energy level is not in fact accelerating.

To carry this interpretation further, when an electron is in the process of making a transition from one energy level to another, its Schrödinger wave function can be represented as a linear combination of the wave functions for the initlal and final states:

[tex] \Psi = a \Psi_{initial} + b \Psi_{final} [/tex]

where a and b vary with time so that before the transition begins a = 1 and b = 0, and after the transition ends a = 0 and b = 1. It turns out that <x> is not stationary for this wave function; it oscillates in time, with a frequency that is equal to the frequency of the light emitted in the transition! In this case we can consider the electron to be accelerating, and emitting radiation as a result.

Atoms do not radiate intrinsically. If they did, they would lose mass and evaporate. They do, however, reradiate energy they absorb from their surroundings. Since the CMB temperature is presently 2.7K, there is still enough free energy to power this effect.

Electrons are bound to the atomic nucleus by a Coulombic potential. Some people think that due to this Coulombic interaction, the electrons are accelerated and therefore they must radiate continuously. This is wrong (the radiation part that is) because the orbitals (the regions where you can find a certain electron at a certain energy-state) are stable. To see this, just imagine this: when an electron is close to the nucleus, the Coulombic interaction is stronger, yielding a potential energy that is smaller (more negative). However, the kinetic energy of such electrons is bigger. So electrons that are close to the nucleus have a lower potential energy but they move faster in the orbitals, yielding a higher kinetic energy. When looking at electrons that are firther away from the nucleus, the potential energy rises and the kinetic energy lowers. In the end, these two effects of energy will yield a stable situation. Therefore, there will be no radiation.

regards
marlon

what_are_electrons said:

this is due to the equilibrium in energy of the electrons. read the example of my above post.

marlon

To rescue atoms continuously emitting radiation we had to invent a whole new theory of the universe. This was one of the greatest motivations for QM!

what_are_electrons said:
Three (3) Questions:

1. Keeping in mind the light emitted by Synchrotrons, then taking the electron as a point charge, and assuming that it orbits the proton in accord with a proper 1s type wave function, does that electron continuously emit (and/or absorb) radiation other than virtual pairs even if it is for time < 10(-18) sec?

If the electron orbited the proton, then yes, it would emit radiation
because an accelerated charge emits radiation. But that would also mean it loses energy, namely kinetic energy. What happens?
Well, the electron would crash into the proton and hydrogen wouldn't exist (hmm...
what's actually so bad about an electron crashing into the nucleus, lol. Why's there
no hydrogen where the electron is sticked together with the nucleus?)

That's why the 'planet model' isn't really good.
My teacher once said: 'You shall not make for yourself a carved image of the atom'
(one of the ten commandments).

Unfortunately that implies that you can't really say what an atom looks like.

dextercioby said:
Yes.
No.Acceleration is a classical concept.It does not pertain to the quantum world,hence cannot be used in the (quantum mechanical) description of matter. Because the energy levels are quantized...?? :confused: :wink:

Daniel.
Does this mean that electrons that are linearly or circularly accelerated (like at SLAC or CERN or KEK etc.) can not be described with QM?

They can,but the theory which does,if it's a quantum theory (it may not be,it may simply be SR),will not use the word and the concept "acceleration".

Daniel.

Chronos said:
Atoms do not radiate intrinsically. If they did, they would lose mass and evaporate. They do, however, reradiate energy they absorb from their surroundings. Since the CMB temperature is presently 2.7K, there is still enough free energy to power this effect.
At RT most atoms on the Earth have kT of energy, about 0.025 eV. Would all atoms have that energy available for use? Is that more than the microwave BG?

marlon said:
Electrons are bound to the atomic nucleus by a Coulombic potential. Some people think that due to this Coulombic interaction, the electrons are accelerated and therefore they must radiate continuously. This is wrong (the radiation part that is) because the orbitals (the regions where you can find a certain electron at a certain energy-state) are stable. To see this, just imagine this: when an electron is close to the nucleus, the Coulombic interaction is stronger, yielding a potential energy that is smaller (more negative). However, the kinetic energy of such electrons is bigger. So electrons that are close to the nucleus have a lower potential energy but they move faster in the orbitals, yielding a higher kinetic energy. When looking at electrons that are firther away from the nucleus, the potential energy rises and the kinetic energy lowers. In the end, these two effects of energy will yield a stable situation. Therefore, there will be no radiation.

regards
marlon
This seems to contradict XPS results that show that the 1s electron clearly has the largest BE (in effect PE), The heaviest atoms have 1s BE >90,000 eV. All other electrons have lower BE as their radius increases.

Your whole previous post denotes not knowing the basic Bohr model of (H) atom,not to mention the QM model.
My advice is,please read... :smile:

Daniel.

what_are_electrons said:
This seems to contradict XPS results that show that the 1s electron clearly has the largest BE (in effect PE), The heaviest atoms have 1s BE >90,000 eV. All other electrons have lower BE as their radius increases.

Again i must agree with dextercioby on this one...

marlon

dextercioby said:
Your whole previous post denotes not knowing the basic Bohr model of (H) atom,not to mention the QM model.
My advice is,please read... :smile:

Daniel.
Am reading as fast as I can, but, alas, my normal job slows me down.
The PhD was org chem, but my work (20 yr+) is surface analysis (XPS, Auger, AFM ...). Have indeed studied the AP & QM of my time (1975-79). My efforts on this forum are to get a refreshed and up-to-date grip on the conceptual basics of atomic physics and related matters so I can progress my efforts to learn AP etc. Your efforts, kindness and bantering are most appreciated. Thanks! Hope I can count on your continued patience, but feel free, as I'm sure you will, to slap my words as needed. Best regards always!
Vince

If I understand correctly, so far there are 2 ways for at atom to radiate.

1.Electrons absorb and re-radiate the energy they once absorbed. And this energy is conserved right?

2.Another situation, is that an "accelerated electron(charge)" (being altered from it's eigenstate) would radiate energy as well. So what is an example of an accelerating electron?

Last edited:

1. What is radiation?

Radiation is the emission of energy in the form of waves or particles. It can come from various sources, including the sun, nuclear reactions, and even everyday objects like cell phones.

2. How do hydrogen atoms emit radiation?

Hydrogen atoms emit radiation through a process called spontaneous emission. This occurs when the atom's electrons transition from a higher energy state to a lower energy state, releasing a photon of energy in the form of radiation.

3. Is the radiation from hydrogen atoms harmful?

The radiation emitted by hydrogen atoms is generally not harmful to humans. It falls into the category of non-ionizing radiation, which means it does not have enough energy to damage cells or DNA. However, in large amounts, it can still cause some adverse effects on living organisms.

4. Does the radiation emitted by hydrogen atoms ever stop?

Yes, the radiation emitted by hydrogen atoms eventually stops. As the atoms lose energy, the frequency and intensity of the emitted radiation decrease. Eventually, the atoms will reach their lowest energy state and stop emitting radiation.

5. Can we use the radiation emitted by hydrogen atoms for anything?

Yes, the radiation emitted by hydrogen atoms has practical applications in various fields, such as medicine, energy production, and astronomy. For example, the radiation emitted by hydrogen atoms is used in MRI machines to create images of the body's internal structures.