1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do i add these in paralell?

1. Oct 27, 2005 #1
    Hello everyone i have the follwoing circuit:
    http://www.webassign.net/hrw/hrw7_27-34.gif I need to find the Potential Difference between a and b. I found the current of R1 and R2, and the questions says:
    R1 = 130 , R2 = 75 , and the ideal batteries have emfs E1 = 6.0 V, E2 = 5.5 V, E3 = 4.0 V.

R1 current = .042A
    R2 current = .0467

Im confused on what I should add u using kricofs rule? like do i just say
    Va = -E2 -E3+ R1*i2 + Vb
    Va -Vb = -E2 -E3+ R1*i2
    But there is a resistor that looks like paraellel, but is that R1 parellel to R2?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2005 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not to me they don't!

Certainly not. To be in parallel they have to have the same potential difference across them no matter what the values of [itex]\mathcal{E}_1[/itex], [itex]\mathcal{E}_2[/itex], and [itex]\mathcal{E}_1[/itex] which is clearly not the case.

Also, note that [itex]R_1[/itex] is in parallel with [itex]\mathcal{E}_2[/itex], but that [itex]R_2[/itex] is not in parallel with [itex]\mathcal{E}_2[/itex]. Since they are not both in parallel with [itex]\mathcal{E}_2[/itex], there is no way that they could possibly be in parallel with each other.

4. Oct 27, 2005 #3

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's not right. If you follow the path from [itex]a[/itex] to [itex]b[/itex] you do not go through [itex]R_1[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?