What is the Potential Difference between points a and b in this circuit?

• Thread starter mr_coffee
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is seeking help in finding the potential difference between points a and b in a circuit. They have found the current of R1 and R2 and know the values of the resistors and ideal batteries. They are asking for clarification on whether R1 and R2 are in parallel, but it is determined that they are not. The speaker is then corrected on their equation for finding the potential difference.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone i have the follwoing circuit:
http://www.webassign.net/hrw/hrw7_27-34.gif I need to find the Potential Difference between a and b. I found the current of R1 and R2, and the questions says:
R1 = 130 , R2 = 75 , and the ideal batteries have emfs E1 = 6.0 V, E2 = 5.5 V, E3 = 4.0 V.

R1 current = .042A
R2 current = .0467

Im confused on what I should add u using kricofs rule? like do i just say
Va = -E2 -E3+ R1*i2 + Vb
Va -Vb = -E2 -E3+ R1*i2
But there is a resistor that looks like paraellel, but is that R1 parellel to R2?

Physics news on Phys.org
mr_coffee said:
But there is a resistor that looks like paraellel,

Not to me they don't!

but is that R1 parellel to R2?

Certainly not. To be in parallel they have to have the same potential difference across them no matter what the values of [itex]\mathcal{E}_1[/itex], [itex]\mathcal{E}_2[/itex], and [itex]\mathcal{E}_1[/itex] which is clearly not the case.

Also, note that [itex]R_1[/itex] is in parallel with [itex]\mathcal{E}_2[/itex], but that [itex]R_2[/itex] is not in parallel with [itex]\mathcal{E}_2[/itex]. Since they are not both in parallel with [itex]\mathcal{E}_2[/itex], there is no way that they could possibly be in parallel with each other.

mr_coffee said:
like do i just say
Va = -E2 -E3+ R1*i2 + Vb
Va -Vb = -E2 -E3+ R1*i2

That's not right. If you follow the path from [itex]a[/itex] to [itex]b[/itex] you do not go through [itex]R_1[/itex].

Question 1: What does it mean to add in parallel?

Adding in parallel means performing mathematical operations on two or more numbers or equations at the same time. This is often used in electrical engineering and circuit design, where components are connected in parallel to increase efficiency.

Question 2: How do I know when to add in parallel?

Parallel addition is typically used when combining two or more quantities of the same type, such as voltage or current. It is also useful when the individual components need to remain independent and not affect each other.

Question 3: Is parallel addition the same as series addition?

No, parallel addition is different from series addition. In series addition, the components are connected one after the other, while in parallel addition, they are connected side by side. This affects the overall resistance, voltage, and current in the circuit.

Question 4: What are the advantages of adding in parallel?

Adding in parallel allows for increased efficiency and reliability in a circuit. It also enables the ability to have multiple independent components working simultaneously, which can be useful in various applications such as computers, solar panels, and batteries.

Question 5: Are there any limitations to adding in parallel?

One limitation of adding in parallel is that the total resistance decreases as more components are added, which can lead to an increased flow of current and potential overload. Additionally, not all components are suitable for parallel addition, so it is important to understand the circuit design and the specifications of each component before adding them in parallel.