Do I fit as a Astrohphysicist?

• Thread starter Mulz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fit
In summary, the difficulty of mathematics for someone like the author comes from their lack of understanding of concepts they have never seen before or if they have forgotten a little bit of what they have learned. If they are willing to put in the effort and ask questions, they should be able to overcome these difficulties.
Mulz
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and I have a few questions to ask. First of all I'm incredibly interested in Physics, Math and anything related to Astro (Universe), but the problem comes to math.
I'm currently a freshman in High school, I'm 16 years old. The problem comes to math because I can't seem to understand it when I want to study on my own, without any teachers to help me and even if they do help me I will probably ask for help 20 times a lession. So how can I improve my Math skills?, and won't I be able to become a Astrophysicist because of this?

Please answer my question and apologize my bad english, It's not my primary launguage.

Is it required for all Scientists/Astrophysicists to have a iq of ≈120-150? I'm not below average for sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any serious involvement with astrophysics, just like with physics or astronomy, will require fluency in mathematics. Sorry, you can't get around that.

I am not sure how we could advise you with regard to your difficulties with mathematics unless you explain what they are.

Math is very easy for me as long as I understand it, but the problem is that I canno't grasp tasks that I've never seen before or if I forgot a little part of it, which makes it a lot difficult for me. Otherwise normal calculations are easy for me, just that problem solving is complicated, I never know where to begin when trying to solve it.

And will it be possible for me to master Mathematics if I really do try hard and ask questions? That's usually what I do in my class.

Problems are one thing.

Concepts are another.

If you are having difficulties dealing with problems, that just means you need to do more of them. It does take some practice to get up to speed with problems.

Ok, I have a mathematic book from school I've gotten today, what should I do if I get stuck on a task that I'm trying to understand/finish? Do I look at the results at the last pages (I tend to learn quicker that way, I'm not writing the answer down without understanding, I'm analyzing it and see if it makes sense compared to my answer) or keep on trying to solve it without help?

I really do appreciate your help

Maybe a change in textbook would be good for you. Try asking some of the academics here which textbook is good.

There are a lot of resources to learn from. Don't give up on your goal just because you are having trouble at the age of 16. (I didn't get the impression that you were going to give up but I just wanted to add that in)

I would keep on trying to solve it without looking at the answers until you run out of ideas, or until you get too frustrated. Just keep it fun! I don't think there's anything wrong at all with looking in the back to get some clues if you get stuck. You might find you want more problems, or that you can't understand some parts of the textbook. If so, you need more books!

Get down to your local public library, and your school library, and show the librarian the book you have and ask them if they have anything similar. Try and be as specific as possible. If you want to understand, say, trig. better, then specify that to the librarian. They are experts in finding books to suit customers, that's their job!

Thanks ALOT, you guys've motivated me a lot, I'm using your tips and it works, I can see a huge improvement since before, now I somehow learn a lot quicker and I'm able to solve problems easier.

Thank you.

1. Am I qualified to become an Astrophysicist?

To become an Astrophysicist, you typically need to have a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and astronomy. You will also need to pursue advanced degrees in these fields, such as a PhD in Astrophysics. Additionally, having a passion for the subject and a curious and analytical mind are important qualities for a successful Astrophysicist.

2. What does an Astrophysicist do?

An Astrophysicist is a scientist who studies the physical properties and behavior of objects and phenomena in the universe, such as planets, stars, galaxies, and black holes. They use a combination of observations, mathematical models, and theoretical principles to understand the nature and evolution of these celestial bodies. They also work to discover new objects and phenomena in the universe and develop theories to explain them.

3. What skills do I need to have to become an Astrophysicist?

Apart from a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and astronomy, an Astrophysicist should also have excellent critical thinking and problem-solving skills. They should be comfortable working with large amounts of data and have strong analytical skills. Good communication skills and the ability to work in a team are also important qualities for an Astrophysicist.

4. What career opportunities are available for Astrophysicists?

Astrophysicists can work in a variety of settings, including universities, research institutes, government agencies, and private companies. They can also pursue careers in fields such as data science, engineering, and technology, as their skills in data analysis and problem-solving are highly valued. Additionally, Astrophysicists can also choose to work in science communication, teaching, or science policy.

5. Is there a demand for Astrophysicists in the job market?

Yes, there is a high demand for Astrophysicists in the job market, particularly in research and development positions. With advancements in technology and space exploration, there is a growing need for scientists who can study and understand the vast expanse of the universe. Additionally, as more industries and fields rely on data analysis and problem-solving, the skills of an Astrophysicist are becoming increasingly valuable in various job sectors.