Do I get a warning for typos, too?

• Thread starter Femme_physics
  • Start date
In summary: I made a topic in Classical Physics asking about studying mechanics without calculus and it was moved to academic guidance and I got a warning. I apologize for not always knowing which section to post in, as there are many sections and the material often overlaps. But does this really qualify as a warning? I didn't do it on purpose. I love this forum and I try to help others by responding. The guidelines here seem quite harsh, and I think a nicer message like "your topic has been moved, please use more discretion in the future" would be better than something that sounds like "do it again and I'll **** you up."The warning is just a way for other moderators to know that this issue has already been addressed. As long as you
Femme_physics
Gold Member
So I made a topic in Classical Physics asking about studying mechanics without calculus, and it was moved to academic guideline and got me a warning. Excuse me for being one of the folks and not always knowing at which section to post, you got a lot of sections and a lot of the material tend to overlap as well. Regardless, does it really qualify as a warning? You know-- I didn't do it on purpose. I love this forum and I also reply in trying to help people. You guys seem very harsh in your guidelines, I'm sorry to say. How about being more nice and sending a message like "your topic moved, please use more discretion next time"... rather then something that reads out as "one more time and I'm going to seriously << profanity removed by berkeman >> you up!"...

-femme_phy

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The warning actually more serves as a message to other moderators saying, in essence, "this person has already been handled." As long as you didn't get any infraction points, I wouldn't worry too much about it. And of course you don't get a warning for typos...

Femme_physics said:
So I made a topic in Classical Physics asking about studying mechanics without calculus, and it was moved to academic guideline and got me a warning. Excuse me for being one of the folks and not always knowing at which section to post, you got a lot of sections and a lot of the material tend to overlap as well. Regardless, does it really qualify as a warning? You know-- I didn't do it on purpose. I love this forum and I also reply in trying to help people. You guys seem very harsh in your guidelines, I'm sorry to say. How about being more nice and sending a message like "your topic moved, please use more discretion next time"... rather then something that reads out as "one more time and I'm going to seriously << profanity removed by berkeman >> you up!"...

Well in fairness, the rules are the rules. If you're lenient to one you have to be lenient to them all. You have to realize that some people constantly post in the wrong forums and so it's best to take a direct approach to the matter.

Char. limit is right, it's only a warning nothing more.

I wouldn't think too much about it.

Alright, I just don't want it to build up and suddenly find myself banned for too much of the occasional indiscretion...

I think that'll be quite impossible, as the warnings net you 0 infraction points.

Femme_physics said:
How about being more nice and sending a message like "your topic moved, please use more discretion next time"... rather then something that reads out as "one more time and I'm going to seriously << profanity removed by berkeman >> you up!"...

I agree that the warning seems harsh, and that a polite personal message (pm) from (moderator) Mentor A might seem more appropriate. However, if A uses a pm to send a warning, no record is made, so if Mentor B sees similar behaviour, then B can't check to see if a warning has been sent previously, in which case something sterner might be in order.

When a Mentor gives a warning or an infraction, a record is automatically made in a forum that only Mentors can see, and which Mentors regularly check to see if behaviour has been repeated.

Sorry if the warning seemed too stern; only a heads-up was intended.

"Warning" is the name the forum software automatically uses for zero-point notifications. You need to read the accompanying message to see whether we really intend it as a "warning" or as a simple "FYI."

We move threads around a lot. We don't get p-o'd at the poster for posting in the wrong place unless s/he does the same kind of misposting repeatedly, for example always posting homework questions in "General Physics" instead of "Homework & Coursework Help / Introductory Physics."

As others have suggested it is just meant as a record for the staff. You have not received any points.

Fair enough...fair enough...

I really think the "warning" verbiage sounds way too harsh for how it's usually intended, which is as a "heads up".

Last edited:
Perhaps (where appropriate) it could be called an explanation rather than a warning

"We have moved your thread because it was in the wrong forum: please use the Academic Guidance forum in future similar cases :wink:"

tiny-tim said:
Perhaps (where appropriate) it could be called an explanation rather than a warning

"We have moved your thread because it was in the wrong forum: please use the Academic Guidance forum in future similar cases :wink:"

+1

Ah, tiny-tim, your replies are awesome, crucial and correct no matter which section. ;) Listen to that guy!

Femme_physics said:
+1

Ah, tiny-tim, your replies are awesome, crucial and correct no matter which section. ;) Listen to that guy!

Yes well, we are confined to the existing abilities of our infraction system which presently does not include an "explanation" label.

I know of at least one technical forum, also using V-Bulletin, that polices its rules far more harshly than PF. They don't bother with a friendly PM of explanation at all. Just Wham Blam Dunk.

But collectively they do know everything there is to know about vintage electronics.

Femme_physics said:
How about being more nice and sending a message like "your topic moved, please use more discretion next time"... rather then something that reads out as "one more time and I'm going to seriously << profanity removed by berkeman >> you up!"...

-femme_phy
Can you post the actual content of the message you received? I would be very surprised if it did in fact read anything even remotely resembling "one more time and I'm going to seriously **** you up!"

Femme_physics I will ask that you PM me. This is not a public matter and we don't discuss these issues as such.

Femme_physics said:

After more thought, because a mentor's behavior has been questioned publicly I will post the exact warning message to Femme_physics. I think you've misrepresented the message here.

Please use the Academic Guidance forum for question such as this. The physics forums should contain topic with actual physics content.

Last edited:

1. Can typos affect my work as a scientist?

Yes, typos can affect your work as a scientist. Typos can lead to errors in data analysis and interpretation, which can ultimately impact the validity and reliability of your research.

2. Will my colleagues or superiors give me a warning for typos?

It depends on the severity and frequency of the typos. In most cases, your colleagues or superiors may give you a friendly reminder to proofread your work, but repeated or significant typos may result in a warning.

3. Do typos affect the credibility of my research?

Yes, typos can affect the credibility of your research. Inaccurate or inconsistent spelling and grammar can make your work appear less professional and may create doubts about the accuracy of your findings.

4. How can I avoid typos in my scientific work?

The best way to avoid typos is to proofread your work carefully and use spell-checking tools. It is also helpful to have a colleague or peer review your work before submission to catch any errors that you may have missed.

5. Are typos considered a serious issue in the scientific community?

While typos may not be considered a major issue in the scientific community, they are still important to avoid as they can impact the accuracy and credibility of your work. It is important to strive for accuracy and professionalism in all aspects of scientific research.