1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do I have enough information to solve this?

1. Sep 3, 2012 #1
    How would I solve this?

2 police officers are standing on a road. A motorist comes at 108km/hr(30m/s) The police take 2 s to assess the situation. Then their patrol car accelerates at 2.5m/s^2 for 15s after the 2s and then continues at uniform speed. How far from the observation point does the intersection take place? Assume the motorist maintains a constant speed of 108km/hr?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2012 #2
    Yes you do, assuming the question means the police react as the bike passes parallel to them.

using:

S = ut + 1/2*a*t2

You find that the police travel 281.25m in the 15 seconds they accelerate, plus the 2 seconds they waited, so in 17s they have traveled 281.25m and accelerated to a constant velocity of 37.5m/s

In this time the motorbike has traveled 17*30 = 510m so the police after 17s are a distance of 228.75m behind the bike

The relative speed between the two is 7.5m/s

So how long does it take to make up 228.75m at 7.5 m/s?

228.75 / 7.5 = 30.5s

plus the original 17s

30.5 + 17 = 47.5s until the police are level with the biker.

4. Sep 3, 2012 #3
    Thank you ,but I still am not sure of the answer to "how far from the observation point did the intersection take place?"

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook