Do I have to spay my cat?

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Averagesupernova said:
Monique, you may want to stop eating meat entirely because ALL castration is done without anesthesia for feed animals.
I've stopped eating meat a few years ago. Exactly what other feed animals are routinely castrated? I thought it was an issue mainly with pigs.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Monique said:
I've stopped eating meat a few years ago. Exactly what other feed animals are routinely castrated? I thought it was an issue mainly with pigs.
Most males are castrated if they're being used for feed. Only the breeding stock would be kept intact. Steer are castrated cattle; you'd be nuts to have a bunch of intact bulls running around a farm - just a few for breeding is enough of a handful, and many farms just bring in bulls to breed their cows or use artificial insemination so that only those who are equipped to handle the bulls are doing so.

For cattle and sheep, I know they pretty routinely use the banding method because it's quick and doesn't require the experience that surgical methods require, and there's less risk of any infection.