Do I have what it takes to succeed in Physics?

• Thread starter wishfulthinking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the person is struggling with their grades in math at their new university and is considering taking an extra year to improve their skills, but is unsure if they are cut out for physics. They are seeking advice on how to improve their test-taking skills.
wishfulthinking
I just got my horrible midterm scores back. I don't know what to do. I never get the worst score in the class, but I am at the bottom of the barrel. This is my first year at a well-known university, I transferred in from a community college. I am definitely interested in the material, but I feel like I am miles behind everyone else when it comes to math. I consistently got Bs in math at my old school, I once got an A in a math class when I had to repeat it. Honestly, the actual material is not difficult when I sit down and teach it to myself, but I find myself daydreaming a lot during lecture or generally just distracted. I can do most of the homework without help. I don't know, I just really screw up on exams, and then my whole grade gets screwed up. It's really disappointing and my self-confidence is at an all-time low. I've considered maybe just taking an extra year longer to finish my undergrad courses, and give myself time to really master the math. However, I have a child and a husband and I don't really have an extra year to spare. My grades for this quarter will likely be shitty, I don't even want my husband to know how bad I'm doing and how stressed out I am.

What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No one can tell you if you are cut out for physics or not, but one thing is for sure - the material will get more challenging as you progress further with your education.

It sounds like you need to work on your examination skills - specifically to figure out why you feel like you can do the homework, but are not successful in the exams. This could involve anything from figuring out strategies to mitigate exam stress, to developing better test-traking strategies, to assessessing your study skills to see if you really are grasping the material as well as you think you are.

Likes CalcNerd and Formula

1. What qualities do I need to have to succeed in Physics?

To succeed in Physics, you need to have strong analytical and critical thinking skills, as well as good problem-solving abilities. You should also have a strong foundation in mathematics and be able to think abstractly. Persistence and determination are also important qualities to have.

2. Is a natural talent in Physics necessary for success?

While having a natural talent in Physics can certainly be helpful, it is not a requirement for success. With hard work and dedication, anyone can excel in Physics. It's important to remember that even the most brilliant scientists had to work hard to develop their skills.

3. Can I succeed in Physics if I struggle with math?

Math is an essential tool in Physics, so it's important to have a good understanding of mathematical concepts. However, struggling with math does not mean you cannot succeed in Physics. With extra effort and seeking help from tutors or professors, you can improve your math skills and succeed in Physics.

4. Do I need to have a specific educational background to succeed in Physics?

While it may be beneficial to have a strong background in math and science, it is not a requirement for success in Physics. Many successful physicists come from diverse educational backgrounds. What is most important is a strong understanding of fundamental concepts and a passion for the subject.

5. How can I prepare for success in Physics?

You can prepare for success in Physics by developing your critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It's also important to have a strong foundation in math and to practice regularly. Reading and staying updated on current developments in the field can also help you prepare for success in Physics. Most importantly, having a positive attitude and a passion for learning can greatly contribute to your success in the field.