1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do I need a degree?

1. Sep 17, 2013 #1
    I currently have enough knowledge equivalent to someone with a BsC in EECS, physics, chem, bio and mathematics. I want to self-study even more to the point of PhD level knowledge in those areas. I want to be a biology researcher and work at NSA. For that, is the knowledge enough or should I pursue a double major in bio and EECS even if I already have the knowledge? i am 18 by the way.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2013 #2
    I don't believe that for a second.

4. Sep 17, 2013 #3
    It is quite the claim. Can you substantiate it somehow? Have you taken tests on those subjects, and where were the tests taken? Was this self-study independent, or guided by a teacher/professor?

In any case, it's unlikely you could become a researcher with the claim of 'self-studied knowledge'. The best you could do is start an undergraduate program at a college that offers placement tests for this sort of thing; if you can prove you place in upper level classes from the start, then getting your BsC won't be an entire repeat of what you already know.

5. Sep 17, 2013 #4
    I think if you send the NSA an email stating essentially what you said in the original post, they'll hire you on the spot. Probably the CIA and FBI also, but it is best to start with just one agency and see how it goes. Best of luck.

6. Sep 17, 2013 #5
    :biggrin:

7. Sep 17, 2013 #6
    I was hoping that you all would answer the question presuming that my claim was true, rather then questioning the circumstances upon which this question is based on. It was self-study (by textbooks) but I have had the help of several professors from MIT. I have taken several tests yielding very good results. So, is it possible in any research organization like NIH to get a job there without a degree?

8. Sep 17, 2013 #7
    No, not really. You need to do research, collaborate with peers and more. This cannot be replicated by a textbook. Even if you have mastered Griffiths, Kittel, Boas and the like you are not equivalent to a graduate.

I had a teacher in graduate school with no degree. He was a master in a very narrow niche of TEMs and the like. Even though he had no degree he was published and cited. How many publications do you have?

9. Sep 17, 2013 #8
    If some guy walked up to you and says that he read a few surgery books, but has no degree or other qualifications. Would you let him operate on you? Same answer.

10. Sep 17, 2013 #9

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The NSA probably knows already.

11. Sep 17, 2013 #10

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Haha +1.

Realistically though, just get the sheet of paper if you know all of that already.

12. Sep 17, 2013 #11
  13. Sep 17, 2013 #12
    Instead of questioning me and posting negative comments, I would prefer some real advice. Is it possible to get a BsC using tests as opposed to taking the courses? Also, I have had lots of research opportunities with professors.

14. Sep 17, 2013 #13
    No, its not possible. If all an undergrad education entailed was reading textbooks then why would anybody go? If your research opportunities lead to publications and presentations then you can put that on your resume and that might help you get some job.

15. Sep 17, 2013 #14
    I have had several publications - mainly in biology. The job I want is to be a researcher.

16. Sep 17, 2013 #15

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Now I know you're trolling.

You're 18 and you've published a book? On (Arguably) one of the hardest subjects (Doctors get paid heavy for a reason).

Be serious if you want serious advice, or at least link me to your published work so I can give you a royal apology.

17. Sep 17, 2013 #16
    If you have publications then aren't you already a researcher? How are you getting paid? Are you not already in a university setting to be putting out publications? I dont see how an 18 year old is successfully publishing outside a university setting... Smells like bull to me.

18. Sep 17, 2013 #17

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Take the GREs in physics, biology, and chemistry to demonstrate your knowledge. If you nail them, any one of them really, then you would have a chance at going forward without a degree.

19. Sep 17, 2013 #18
    Publications means papers, not books. I did them under professors, but without enrollment. I have taken GREs and done well on them.

20. Sep 17, 2013 #19
    They will probably be fighting over you. Send a resume to each and let them know you'll be going with the highest bidder.

21. Sep 17, 2013 #20

IGU

First, there are many kids who become undergraduates at 15 or younger. Some are very, very good. Some have a BS by 18.

Second, what beyond class learning do you think is necessary as part of an undergraduate education? Maybe a few labs in science? Certainly nothing in math. If a student learns as well or better from a textbook then what else does college have to offer beyond an official credential? Sure, some do some research, but it is neither required nor all that usual. Sure learning to cooperate with your peers is a good thing, but tell that to Perelman.

Please support your assertions with something more than incredulity and denial.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook