Do I Need a Relay for My Digital Lock?

• Thread starter manshuk89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relay
In summary, Bob successfully created a password-protected lock using a relay. He also thinks about taking this module to the next step and wanting the password to change every 2 days and a notification to be sent via an SMS to the mobile phones of some predetermined individuals.
manshuk89
i have just purchased a digital lock that works on 12v dc...
the lock has a transformer and a rectifier , hence i connect it directly to the mains...
when i switch the button on, the lock opens...

now i want to connect a keypad to this digital lock such that it opens only when a correct code is entered...
my question do i need a relay to operate this mechanism..? if yes then why?

Engineering news on Phys.org
If the keypad runs on 12V dc (regulated), then you could use an npn open collector (common ground) to operate the lock. A relay does provide an extra layer of isolation, however, in case the lock solenoid requires a lot of inductive current.
Bob S

A relay is an old fashioned device which does a lot for you. It provides very good isolation (it can switch AC, for example) and, effectively, very high signal amplification. You may need a diode and capacitor to deal with switching spikes with an inductive load but that is not a problem. The only thing wrong with relays is reliability, because they have moving parts (and, of course, they are non-linear). Nonetheless, they are a very effective low-cost way to achieve just what you seem to want. Reliability is not really an issue.

thanks a lot for the reply guys...
i have successfully made a password protected lock using a relay... i think i will add the diode for protection against spike just in case...

i am now thinking about takin this module to the next step...
i want the password to change every 2 days and a notification 2 be sent via an sms to the mobile phones of some predetermined individuals...

i know a few mechanisms of password generation...
can anyone tip me as how to incorporate a gsm device for the sms purpose?

1. Do I really need a relay for my digital lock?

Yes, a relay is necessary for a digital lock to function properly. It acts as a switch to control the flow of electricity and allows the lock to be activated when the correct code is entered.

2. Can I use a digital lock without a relay?

No, a digital lock cannot function without a relay. Without a relay, the lock will not receive the necessary electrical signal to activate and unlock.

3. How does a relay work with a digital lock?

A relay works by using an electromagnetic coil to open and close its contacts. When the correct code is entered into the digital lock, it sends a signal to the relay, which then activates the lock's mechanism to unlock the door.

4. Is a relay necessary for all types of digital locks?

Yes, a relay is necessary for all types of digital locks, including keypad locks, biometric locks, and smart locks. It is an essential component that allows the lock to function properly.

5. Can I install a relay myself for my digital lock?

If you have experience with electrical wiring and are familiar with how relays work, you may be able to install a relay for your digital lock yourself. However, it is recommended to hire a professional to ensure proper installation and avoid any potential safety hazards.