Is a Statistics Module Necessary for a Mathematics Degree?

• Programs
  • Thread starter Firepanda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degree
In summary: I recently thought I had no chance of getting an A in a class cause I needed an A in the final and the last Exam before the. Nailed them both. Didn't have to show up for the final could gotten an easy B or taken a shot at the final.Not doing well study more and give it your best.
Firepanda
I've emailed my tutor this question, and he forwarded it to someone else, and I'm still without an answer which I would like to know sooner the better. Chances are no one here will be able to give me a definite answer, but if you can try your best and give me an insight on to how it was like for you, then that would help.

I would prefer to know how degrees are classified, my 1st year at uni doesn't count for anything. I'm currently in my second year and I am failing horrible at my statistics module (its a straight maths course). I am fine in every other module, but I have always struggled big time with statistics, there is literally no hope for me to do well in this particular module.

I need to know if I can just not turn up for the exam, and focus on my other 3 module exams coming up at the end of this month, rather than putting in days into a module I won't scrape 30% in. I would rather get [70%, 70%, 70%, 0%] than [60%, 60%, 60%, 30%].

There is a total of 16 modules over 4 semesters that go towards my degree, in your experience do you need this module? At the end of my last year will they only pick a few of my best marks, potentially making this stats module pointless?

Physics news on Phys.org
even if you show up and fail miserably its still better than not showing up

I recently thought I had no chance of getting an A in a class cause I needed an A in the final and the last Exam before the. Nailed them both. Didn't have to show up for the final could gotten an easy B or taken a shot at the final.

Not doing well study more and give it your best.

My guess is the a fundamental understanding of statistics is important in computer simulations or organizing and making sense of data acquired in
some experiments.

Shouldn't your college clearly delineate what courses are required for your degree and at what grade is the credit exceptable?

You will need statistics if it is part of your core curriculum. Do not fret~ I failed maths at high school, was not expecting to take stats at uni for psychology and failed miserably the first year, barely passing the second.

During the christmas break between 2nd nd 3rd year I took a volunteer position as a data entry assistant, and watched and helped the PhD student being paid for the work. We chatted about what we were doing and how it related to stats topics I had been trying to learn. Within a month I was on the payroll, then working throughout my third year~putting into practice what I was learning and discussing concepts ~ really helped.

So~ perhaps a couple hours of vol work...? Online tutors are also available~ believe me, stats is not beyond you, it is a language that can be learnt, like English, Arabic or any other.

Firepanda said:
I've emailed my tutor this question, and he forwarded it to someone else, and I'm still without an answer which I would like to know sooner the better. Chances are no one here will be able to give me a definite answer, but if you can try your best and give me an insight on to how it was like for you, then that would help.

I would prefer to know how degrees are classified, my 1st year at uni doesn't count for anything. I'm currently in my second year and I am failing horrible at my statistics module (its a straight maths course). I am fine in every other module, but I have always struggled big time with statistics, there is literally no hope for me to do well in this particular module.

I need to know if I can just not turn up for the exam, and focus on my other 3 module exams coming up at the end of this month, rather than putting in days into a module I won't scrape 30% in. I would rather get [70%, 70%, 70%, 0%] than [60%, 60%, 60%, 30%].

There is a total of 16 modules over 4 semesters that go towards my degree, in your experience do you need this module? At the end of my last year will they only pick a few of my best marks, potentially making this stats module pointless?

I don't know about your university, but at mine if you missed an exam without a valid reason, you'd be kicked out. Also, failing a module with a mark <30 held a higher penalty then a fail in the range 30<40. Grading is usually weighted between second and third year, for a three year degree, something like 30:70 or 33:67. You'll be able to find this out in your university/departmental regulation. I don't see how a second year module can be 'pointless.' Presumably, the 16 modules they take will be four from each of the last four semesters, otherwise you'd be given 'free passes' to fail modules!

I hated stats at university, but it's something you've just got to suck up and deal with: you can't have a maths degree without having taken at least a couple of stats modules.

1. Do I need to take this course for my degree?

It depends on your specific degree program. Some courses may be required for your degree, while others may be electives. It is important to check with your academic advisor or refer to your degree requirements to determine if a course is necessary for your degree.

2. Can I substitute this course for another one?

Again, this varies depending on your degree program. Some courses may have alternative options that can be used as substitutes, while others may not. You should consult with your academic advisor to see if there are any options for substituting this course.

3. Is this course only offered in a certain semester?

Course offerings can vary by semester and university. Some courses may only be offered in the fall or spring, while others may be offered year-round. It is important to plan ahead and check the course schedule to see when a particular course will be offered.

4. Can I take this course online?

Many universities offer online courses, but not all courses may be available in an online format. You should check with your university to see if this course is offered online or if there are any online alternatives.

5. Will this course be difficult for me?

Every course is different and every student's experience may vary. It is important to research the course and its requirements to determine if it is the right fit for you. You can also reach out to other students who have taken the course or the professor to get a better understanding of the course's difficulty level.