1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do I need to prove this - absolute value stuff

1. Jun 10, 2006 #1
    I had the following task at one of the math exams. It went something like this.

Real number x is closer to 'a' than it is to 'b'. Write that in terms of...
    Soo I wrote |x-a| < |x-b|

the task continued

Specify the interval for which all values of x are closer to 4 than are to -1. Soo one way would be to put a = 4 and b = -1 in the equation to get |x-4| < |x+1| but I am not very fond on solving this equation if I can make a more easy equation to do the trick.

Since geometrically all what I have to do is find the the point that is equidistand from a and b. That is x = (a+b)/2 and then it simply a matter of going left or right on the number axis.

I just wrote the solution to be x in interval (a+b)/2, inf -> (4-1)/2 , inf -> x in interval of (3/2, inf] is closer to 4 than to -1. That is the correct answer, all values of x that are greater than x =3/2 lie closer to 4 than to -1.

Now I guess for mathematitian this is more of a guessing than a formal solution of a problem. Soo should I be required to prove what I just did or is it acceptable?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted