Why is the release date for Windows Longhorn delayed until the end of 2004?

• Thread starter Saint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Windows
In summary: Windows 2003 is a good choice for a home system. Although it is a bit more complicated to use than Windows XP, it is still fairly easy. Windows XP Pro is also a good choice for a home system, but it is important to keep up with security updates.
Saint
My home PC is a stand alone machine, do i need windows 2003 ?

Computer science news on Phys.org
What is that version called, I thought winXP was 2002?

You don't need anything in particular. It's entirely a matter of choice. Any Windows system is relatively easy to use. If I didn't give a damn about learning the ins-and-outs of computers, and only wanted a machine for word processing, multimedia stuff, and using the web, I'd use some Windows OS. However, for security, reliability, and other reasons, I would go for another system. Although I'm finding XP Pro is okay so far, as long as you get the security updates and all. But one of the problems with updating Windows online is that you need a proper registered copy to get stuff from Microsoft, and if you do that, it starts by giving them a description of your computer, which kinda sucks.

Windows 2003 only comes in server versions...so no, you would not use windows 2003 on your home system.

Windows XP is what I myself prefer, having used 2003 on my company machine for a few days. If you are running Windows 9x or ME, you are crazy...see a doctor

Win2k is a good choice too...but XP is better for home users, imo.

Buy Norton firewall if you want to upgrade the software on your PC. It will tell you whenever someone is making a hack attempt on your computer, lots of MS security humor could come from that, especially as the attempts start to decrease over the first few weeks you have the firewall installed.

I wouldn't worry about a firewall software unless you are using an always-on connection (cable, dsl, etc). Otherwise, with your IP being dynamic (it usually is when you dial into your ISP), it's unlikely that you will be harrassed.

If you feel the need to use a firewall but don't want to spend the money for a program, windows XP has a basic firewall ability built in. It's not super advanced, but it gets the job done.

As a side note, make sure you disable your messenger service in Win NT, 2k, XP if you aren't using it. Otherwise, you could end up with some annoying ads and such popping up. Quite the pain.

Originally posted by Considering
I wouldn't worry about a firewall software unless you are using an always-on connection (cable, dsl, etc).
And if you use a router with your dsl or cable, you also don't need a software firewall. The router is a good hardware firewall.

Originally posted by grady
Buy Norton firewall if you want to upgrade the software on your PC. It will tell you whenever someone is making a hack attempt on your computer, lots of MS security humor could come from that, especially as the attempts start to decrease over the first few weeks you have the firewall installed.

sucicide, hackers are known to penetrate norton personal firewall

Why Longhorn has to be so late till end of 2004 ?

Do I need Windows 2003 ?
Of course you do, silly.

Why Longhorn has to be so late till end of 2004 ?
Just to keep you in suspence?
Actually, these things do take time to put together you know. There is no point in holding one's breath as it will arrive when it arrives, and in the mean time we still have windows for workgroups!

1. Do I need Windows 2003 for my computer?

It depends on your specific needs and preferences. Windows 2003 is an older operating system that may not be compatible with newer software and hardware. You may want to consider upgrading to a newer version of Windows for better performance and support.

2. Is Windows 2003 still supported by Microsoft?

No, Microsoft ended support for Windows 2003 in 2015. This means that there are no more security updates or technical support available for this operating system. It is recommended to upgrade to a newer version of Windows for better security and support.

3. Can I still use Windows 2003 for my business?

Technically, you can still use Windows 2003 for your business. However, since it is no longer supported by Microsoft, it may pose security risks and compatibility issues with newer software and hardware. It is highly recommended to upgrade to a newer version of Windows for better performance and security.

4. How do I know if my computer is running Windows 2003?

You can check the version of your Windows operating system by going to the "System Information" section in your computer's settings. If it says "Windows Server 2003" or "Windows 2003" then you are running this operating system.

5. What are the alternatives to Windows 2003?

There are several alternatives to Windows 2003, including newer versions of Windows such as Windows 7, 8, or 10. Other options include switching to a different operating system such as MacOS or Linux. It is best to research and determine which operating system best suits your needs and preferences.