Do I Wanna Do Physics? - My Thoughts

• Thread starter The_Z_Factor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: You'll still be able to do both but you'll know which one you prefer more. In summary, it may be hard to decide if you want to pursue a physics or math degree, but if you take classes your first two years you should be able to figure it out.
The_Z_Factor
Ive been thinking..lately I stopped working on my physics books and just been doing a lot of math. For the past couple of weeks I've been thinking and wondering whether I actually would like to do physics or not..I was thinking well to be a physicist you have to really love your job. So I was wondering do I really like it enough to study it for so many years in school? I like physics, I am interested, but I am more interested in math. Just pure mathematics that's what I really love to do. So, that brought into my mind theoretical physics..and I haven't the slightest clue what that is. Isn't theoretical physics all math or basically all math or something similar? Did anybody else feel this way about physics when they were planning on going into it as a major?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is very much math, yes, but you still have physics. And there are many branches of theoretical physics. For example theoretical particle, nuclear, condensed, astrpnomy, string theory etc.

But you still need ALOT of physics, and programming and scientific computing.

What kind of math are you intresseted in? Have you looked what math reasearhcers do nowadays?

Then do pure math with a physics minor. Near your graduation decide where to go from there. Nothing wrong with switching to pure math.

You know, if you want to lose touch with all of reality, that is.

What level are you taking in both? I was having the same debate at the end of my sophomore year, mostly because I had had 4 math classes (Calc I-III and ODE) vs 2 physics classes (Phys I and II). The next year I took some upper-div classes in both math and physics, and since they were both much more in depth, I could tell which one I preferred more easily.

If you are still a freshmen/sophomore, you haven't gotten to the meat of either subject, and you should see what they're both like in upper-div. If you're already taking upper-div then you should probably listen to your instincts.

Ahh stop worrying.

Here's a basic little plan that may help you. In your first year, odds are, you'll take 1 physics class a few math classes and a lot of other random classes that hopefully you'll enjoy. During that time, see if you really like math or if you really like physics. If you cannot decide by your first year, then take more classes your 2nd year. If you still cannot decide, get a freakin double major!

1. What is physics?

Physics is a branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It seeks to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the natural world.

2. Why should I study physics?

Studying physics can help you develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as a deeper understanding of the world around you. It also provides a strong foundation for many other fields, such as engineering, astronomy, and medicine.

3. Is physics a difficult subject to learn?

Like any subject, physics can be challenging, but with dedication and hard work, it is definitely achievable. It is important to have a solid understanding of mathematics and a curious mind to succeed in physics.

4. What career opportunities are available for those with a physics degree?

A degree in physics can open up a variety of career paths, including research, engineering, teaching, and technology development. Physics graduates are highly sought after in industries such as aerospace, energy, and healthcare.

5. What are the current developments and advancements in the field of physics?

There are many exciting developments happening in physics, such as the discovery of new particles, advancements in quantum computing, and the exploration of the mysteries of the universe. With ongoing research and discoveries, the field of physics continues to expand and evolve.