Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do intelligent people do dumb things?

1. May 17, 2013 #1
    when i was around 12 years old i was flying kites with a bunch of buddies.

i was on the roof, the highest level.

some of them were on the balcony, a level below me.

i was already flying a kite, the kite was in the air and i had hold of the string and that other thing that retract and extend the string, the handler, i guess.

one of my buddies on the balcony said to hand him the handler.

since the kite was already flying in the air, the appropriate way to transfer the handler to him was to hold onto a section of the string and then drop the handler and let it rotate down to him, so that the kite won't fly away, since it was already aloft.

instead, i just through the handler down........and the handler was carry aloft by the kite instead.

that was really dumb.

but then again, i'm not really intelligent.

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2013 #2
    I don't know whether I am intelligent or not, but I can honestly say I do dumb things on a regular basis.

One of my friend calls me the stupid/dumb genius. (I'm not a genius though.) :confused:

4. May 18, 2013 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I don't think there is anyone who did not do a dumb thing before. Therefore, all intelligent people do dumb things. The frequency is another question.

5. May 18, 2013 #4
    I was expecting someone to be struck by lightning.

6. May 18, 2013 #5
    You should get real. Really intelligent people does not do dumb things. If you do you are not one of us.

7. May 18, 2013 #6

Danger

Gold Member

:bugeye:

That statement proves you wrong.

8. May 18, 2013 #7
    A track record of doing dumb things doesn't preclude the ability to do intelligent ones.

9. May 18, 2013 #8

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

Of course they do. "Intelligence" isn't some magical all-encompassing capability that means someone will do the right thing in every situation no matter what. Aside from the specific nature of intelligence (you can be smart in one subject yet dumb in another I.e a physicist who uses alternative medicines or a doctor with no social skills) no one is at the top of their game all the time. It is easy to have off days or off moments.

10. May 18, 2013 #9

Danger

Gold Member

Or decades... :redface:

11. May 18, 2013 #10

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Once when I was trimming some vines using an electric hedge trimmer similar to this one,

24de.jpg

I accidentally lopped apart the cord that was powering it. I don't think I'll ever live that one down. :blushing:

12. May 18, 2013 #11

Danger

Gold Member

I know one person who has done that with hedge clippers and three who have done it with lawn mowers. (I don't know that their intellects were stellar, though.)

One guy that I know quit paying attention for just a second and welded his ground clamp to the steel that he was working on.

13. May 19, 2013 #12
    My mother frequently referred to me as "All brains and no common sense."

I was always kinda proud of that title...

14. May 19, 2013 #13
    Did the thing explode?

15. May 19, 2013 #14

Physics_UG

Gold Member

stupid is as stupid does

16. May 19, 2013 #15

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

I love you Forrest

17. May 19, 2013 #16

Ibix

Science Advisor

"When the only mistakes you make are stupid ones...rejoice. You aren't making errors of understanding any more."

I no longer recall who I'm quoting, but it seems appropriate.

I make understanding errors sometimes, too, by the way.

18. May 19, 2013 #17

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Nah, it just stopped working, although the extension cord was nearly cut in two. I had to got to Radio Shack and buy some heat shrink tubing and fire up the soldering iron to fix it. It's all better now. But still, I'm pretty embarrassed about that one.

19. May 20, 2013 #18
    Alcohol is often involved.

20. May 20, 2013 #19

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I once needed to drain the coolant out of the engine block of my car. The drain plug was right behind the exhaust manifold so the easiest way to get at it was disconnect the exhaust pipe from the manifold.

Removing the plug sent a stream of coolant straight into the open end of the exhaust pipe.

And while trying to push the pipe out of the way, I dropped the drain plug. Guess where it went - the same place as the coolant.

After buying a new plug, the final embarassment was running the engine after finishing the job. Boliing off a couple of pints of water from the inside of the exhaust system produces a LOT of steam!

21. May 20, 2013 #20
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook