Do intensity flickers result from the nature of EM waves?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between light intensity and the amplitude of an electromagnetic wave. It is mentioned that for most humans, the limit for consciously noticing light flicker is in the range of 30-90 Hertz, while visible light has a frequency of 430-770 THz. The possibility of observing the undulations of an EM wave with frequencies lower than visible light is also discussed. There is a question about the lower limit for observing RF signals with a conventional oscilloscope, and the conversation also touches upon the use of crystals to vibrate in step with an EM wave. There is some confusion about whether the question is regarding the undulations within a single photon or the undulations at the frequency of a specific color
greswd
Since light intensity is proportional to the amplitude of the EM wave, and wave amplitudes undulate up and down, does this result in natural intensity flickering of observed light?

For visible light, the frequency is extremely high, but it might be more easily observable in ELF waves.

Physics news on Phys.org
Good question, but no, For most humans, the limit for consciously noticing light flicker is somewhere in the range 30-90 Hertz. We have had discussions on that on PF. Some people see flicker at 50 Hz, but not at 60 Hz.

Compare that to visible light 430–770 THz. and you can see that there is a "tera" of difference.

greswd said:
Since light intensity is proportional to the amplitude of the EM wave, and wave amplitudes undulate up and down, does this result in natural intensity flickering of observed light?

For visible light, the frequency is extremely high, but it might be more easily observable in ELF waves.
Well, yes, the EM energy travels in bunches, corresponding to the peaks of the E and H fields (which are in phase in an EM wave in space).
I had to read this a few times before I understood what you were saying. But it is perfectly possible (we do it every day) to observe / measure the variation of the E and H fields of an EM wave. I don't know the present upper frequency limit for directly observing the varying fields but the carrier wave can be directly observed on conventional 'home' test equipment up to hundreds of MHz - i.e. you can see the RF waveform varying in real time on an oscilloscope display. It's not something that's done very often because there are better ways (in receivers), involving frequency mixing, to beat such high frequency signals down to more convenient Intermediate (I.F.) frequencies.
You may be wondering about how fast common objects can actually vibrate in step with an EM wave. Quartz Crystals can physically vibrate 'in step with' an incident UHF RF signal but you need to provide a suitable circuit to get the EM energy to the crystal.

Likes Klystron
anorlunda said:
Good question, but no, For most humans, the limit for consciously noticing light flicker is somewhere in the range 30-90 Hertz. We have had discussions on that on PF. Some people see flicker at 50 Hz, but not at 60 Hz.

Compare that to visible light 430–770 THz. and you can see that there is a "tera" of difference.
Sorry, nothing to do with human perception, but about whether the intensity of EM radiation objectively flickers, and whether it can be observed with a camera built for detecting fluctuations with the frequencies involved.
sophiecentaur said:
..the carrier wave can be directly observed on conventional 'home' test equipment up to hundreds of MHz - i.e. you can see the RF waveform varying in real time on an oscilloscope display.
thanks, how low are those RFs that you can observe them varying in real time?

greswd said:
thanks, how low are those RFs that you can observe them varying in real time?
Connect an antenna to a basic analogue oscilloscope which will show you a snapshot of the variations. The scope has the effect of slowing down the time in which the actual oscillations occur. I mentioned that this can be done for radio frequencies of up to several hundred MHz.

Likes greswd
The question is still unclear. @sophiecentaur is responding for radio frequencies of up to several hundred MHz." whereas
the OP says
greswd said:

That sounds to me like you are asking about the undulations within a single photon. The lower end of the visible spectrum is about 430 THz.

Please clarify. Are you asking about
  1. a beam of light modulated at a lower frequency?
  2. or about the undulations at the frequency of the color?
  3. Or are you asking about ELF radio, which is EM radiation but which we do not usually call light?

Likes sophiecentaur
anorlunda said:
That sounds to me like you are asking about the undulations within a single photon.
Best not to go there, I think. Photons seldom help to make things clearer in these sorts of discussions because they are not like people feel they ought to be. The classical wave model is what's called for here.

Last edited:

1. What causes intensity flickers in EM waves?

The nature of EM waves is the main cause of intensity flickers. EM waves are made up of electric and magnetic fields that oscillate perpendicular to each other. These oscillations can cause fluctuations in the intensity of the wave, resulting in flickering.

2. Are intensity flickers harmful?

Intensity flickers in EM waves are generally not harmful to humans. However, they can cause discomfort or distraction, especially in sensitive individuals. In some cases, intense and rapid flickering can trigger seizures in people with photosensitive epilepsy.

3. Can intensity flickers be controlled or prevented?

Intensity flickers in EM waves cannot be completely prevented, as they are a natural phenomenon. However, they can be controlled to some extent by using filters or polarizers to reduce the intensity fluctuations. In addition, using stable and consistent lighting sources can also help minimize flickering.

4. Do all types of EM waves produce intensity flickers?

Yes, all types of EM waves can produce intensity flickers. This includes radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, visible light, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays. The frequency and intensity of the flickers may vary depending on the type of EM wave.

5. Are there any benefits to intensity flickers?

Intensity flickers in EM waves can have some benefits, such as providing information about the source of the wave. For example, flickering in visible light can indicate the presence of a flame or fire. In addition, flickering in radio waves can be used to study the properties of celestial objects and help in communication systems.