Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do Monitors Ruin Eyesight?

1. Jul 25, 2005 #1
    Ok, so I need this to be cleared up. I've been using 40 contrast/brightness on a CTR monitor. I used to have it to something really bright and my eyes would start to hurt after a while, when I toned it down (a lot) it really helped. But, if you went outside, it's really bright theres a lot more photons hitting your eyes. But I also thought about like some spot where there's a lot light then everywhere else is a lot darker.

Do monitors ruin eyesight? :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2005 #2
    I've heard that staring at a monitor (Tv or otherwise) for too long lots can have a bad effect on your eyesight. Perhaps people should wear special goggles/eyewear or something to prevent/decrease that from happening (When using a computer, tv, etc)

Just a thought? I mean keep in mind it's likely that more and more people will be using computers,more and more...

Last edited: Jul 25, 2005
  4. Jul 26, 2005 #3
    I do not think that there any reason to believe that monitors ruin eyesight. Here is a link to a review article about the effect of using screen based equipment on the eyes.
    Do video display units cause visual problems? - a bedside story about the processes of public health decision-making.

Here is a quote from page 217 of the linked article:

5. Jul 26, 2005 #4
    Take this as a personal anecdote, but I'm short sighted and my eyes become worse during the exam period.. every exam period! I don't think its because of anything specific like TV or a computer monitor, but staring at anything in close range for long periods of time. It's probably genetic as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?