Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do not call your teddy

1. Nov 30, 2007 #1

wolram

Gold Member

Mohamed.

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/africa/article3198874.ece

A British primary school teacher in Sudan is facing 40 lashes and up to a year in jail for allowing her pupils to name a teddy bear after the Prophet Mohamed. Gillian Gibbons has been imprisoned under strict blasphemy laws for showing "contempt and disrespect against the believers".

I think a short prison term is the outcome.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2007 #2
  4. Nov 30, 2007 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

So, is it against Islamic law for a person to be named Muhammad? If it isn't, who's to say the bear isn't carrying a normal every day name? I thought Muhammad was a common name.

5. Nov 30, 2007 #4

wolram

Gold Member

There are three people called Mohamed in this factory.

6. Nov 30, 2007 #5
    Well, the entire issue was that some (a lot) Islamic fundamentalists thinks that she, by allowing students to name the teddy bear Muhammad, make a depiction of the 'prophet' Muhammad, which is, according to the Qur'an, blasphemy (well, not really; making it of Allah is and then Islamic scholars extrapolated it to fit the prophet too).

So, therefore, she 'insulted religion' and some people want her to die.

7. Nov 30, 2007 #6

Garth

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Muhammad, and its various spellings, is reputed to be the most common boys name in the world.

She did not call the teddy bear Muhammad, there was a competition in her class for the name and the 6-year-old Muslim children chose Muhammad as their favourite. Her 'crime' was to allow their choice.

Had she disallowed it what is the betting she would have been arrested for anti-Islamic prejudice?

The real blasphemy, i.e. the bringing of the name of God or Allah into disrepute, is the action of those who publicise to the world that you want somebody to die in the name of that God for such an 'offence'.

Garth

Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  8. Nov 30, 2007 #7
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7116401.stm

"Gillian Gibbons, 54, from Liverpool, was arrested on Sunday in Khartoum, and could face charges of insulting Islam's Prophet after her class named the toy.

But one boy said: "The teacher asked me what I wanted to call the teddy. I said Muhammad. I named it after my name."

The Sudanese Embassy in London said the situation was a "storm in a teacup"."

9. Nov 30, 2007 #8

Evo

It seems rather obvious the whole thing is preposterous. Sometimes I think we live in a world of knowledge and enlightenment, then I read the news.

10. Nov 30, 2007 #9

Astronuc

Let the children be children. There is certainly something wrong with the adults in Khartoum who have a problem with this. What the children did is apparently common enough out there in the world. The problem seems to be Gibbons heritage.

Those calling for violence against Ms. Gibbons are the true blasphemers - against humanity and all else.

11. Nov 30, 2007 #10

Danger

Gold Member

I agree that it's absurd. What disturbs me is that I can see the same thing happening to a teacher in Mississippi or Kansas who allows her students to name a bear 'Satan'.

12. Nov 30, 2007 #11
    Actually, it is not so absurd after all; it follows rationally provided that one accepts the premises.

13. Nov 30, 2007 #12

Danger

Gold Member

It's the premise that I find absurd, not the action itself, so I kind of agree with you.

14. Nov 30, 2007 #13
    Are these people just looking for something to be offended by, or what. :rolleyes: It is the worlds most common name and the second most common name in the UK.

Every other Mexican boy has Jesus either as his first name or among one of his multiple names.
    It drives the cops nuts because they like to switch all or parts of their names with cousins, but Christians aren't offended by it.

15. Nov 30, 2007 #14

wolram

Gold Member

It seems that they want to be apart from the rest of the world.

16. Nov 30, 2007 #15
    I have a classmate named Mohammed... What an oddly moronic, easily offended world we live in...

17. Nov 30, 2007 #16

wolram

Gold Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4690224.stm

In the UK we suffer guys like this, note what the judge said.

You are entitled to your views and in this country you are entitled to express them, but only up to the point where you incite murder or use language calculated to incite racial hatred. That is what you did."

18. Dec 1, 2007 #17

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's somewhat easier to argue against, in a technical sense.

Islam prohibits idolatry. As far as I understand it, one cannot be a true muslim if he or she paints people's portraits or sculpts busts or faces, because that would be committing idolatry in an Islamic sense (representing objects of faith/love/etc. through inanimate objects). In that narrow technical sense, it is okay to write on an inanimate object like a teddy bear "I love Mohammad" or "Allah is great," or whatever, because that does not idolize the prophet or Allah in an inanimate object.

There is enough religious dogma that can be used to incite hatred toward almost anything and anyone.

For Sudan this may be one way of getting even with the "outsiders" who have been pressuring them on human rights and Darfur. Also a convenient excuse to divert attention from things that matter, like human rights and Darfur.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2007
  19. Dec 1, 2007 #18

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

When will the human race grow out of religion? Or at least, the more absurd aspects of religion...

20. Dec 1, 2007 #19

DaveC426913

Gold Member

It is the naming of artificial idols (idolatry) that is offensive. It is not the naming of people that is offensive.

(I wish people would understand what it is they're judging when they pass judgement.)

And by the way, idolatry is also one of the Ten Commandment no-nos.

I'm not sayin' it was right. I just get so tired of seeing how black-and-white the world is to some people.

21. Dec 1, 2007 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If the name was offensive, why not just have one of the religion teachers come in and explain why and ask the children to rename the teddy bear?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?