Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do NOT rent Marley and Me

1. May 23, 2009 #1

turbo

Gold Member

Do NOT rent "Marley and Me"

What a waste! Billed as a romantic comedy, it is neither romantic nor funny. If you have already paid hard-earned $$ to see this stinker in a theater, you have my condolences.

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2009 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: Do NOT rent "Marley and Me"

I wouldn't even dream of watching that movie, it looks dreadful!

4. May 23, 2009 #3

I don't watch most romantic comedys. That title only sounds familiar, I don't even know which movie that is. lol

I think the last romantic comedy I saw that I really liked was As Good As It Gets.

5. May 23, 2009 #4

turbo

Gold Member

I would not have rented it, either guys, but my wife picked it up at the video-outlet. BAD!

6. May 23, 2009 #5

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Haha, is that your excuse? :wink:

7. May 23, 2009 #6

You must put on the gas mask and accompany her to the rental place from now on, obviously.
    Unless you were with her, in which case you are to blame too! Wives must be watched and their shopping approved by their husbands. ;-p

8. May 23, 2009 #7

turbo

Gold Member

I wouldn't dare to enter the video-palace with less than a NASA-approved space suit. She didn't tell me that she was going to drop in there and I had no idea that she was going to rent this loser DVD. She also rented "Taken" starring Liam Neeson - hopefully, that choice will redeem her at least partially. We'll see when we watch that one in a day or two.

9. May 23, 2009 #8

Taken was as good as action movies get. Liam Neeson is even more ruthless than James Bond in this movie.

10. May 23, 2009 #9

I find that most romantic comedies follow the same basic plot structure and haven't found many which deviate far enough to offer something worthwhile.

11. May 23, 2009 #10

turbo

Gold Member

Thanks! I'm looking forward to it, now! Rob Roy (MacGregor) is one of my favorite historical movies and Leeson was fantastic as a cool-as-ice clan leader fighting injustice.

12. May 23, 2009 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A lot of romantic comedies are stinkers. I had no desire to rent Marley and Me though. It sounded pretty lame even in the commercials, and we all know those show all the best scenes the movie has to offer.

13. May 23, 2009 #12

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

One word for movies...

Library

Note: turbo-1 doesn't have that option I think.

14. May 23, 2009 #13

turbo

Gold Member

The library in this town is a tiny one-room brick building smaller than my garage. My garage is less than 200 ft2 in case you're wondering. This town is tiny and its cultural resources are non-existent.

15. May 23, 2009 #14

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I can't imagine why you would have done such a horrible thing!

16. May 23, 2009 #15

russ_watters

I'm looking forward to that one too. Come to think of it, I haven't seen my copy of Rob Roy in a while - I must have lent it out and never gotten it back! :mad:

17. May 24, 2009 #16

Taken...is...AWESOME!!!

18. May 24, 2009 #17

turbo

Gold Member

I didn't rent that stinker. My wife wanted a couple of movies to watch during the holiday weekend and she grabbed "Marley and Me". She's a big fan of "Friends" and probably figured that Anniston was a safe bet. Wrong!!

19. May 24, 2009 #18

russ_watters

Sorry - I posted before I read the rest of the thread.

Yeah, Aniston can be good, but has a very narrow range of comedy in which she can be good and I don't think I've ever seen her as a lead. She's good in the role of "the girlfriend", usually, if it isn't a big role (see: Office Space, Bruce Almighty).

20. May 24, 2009 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I haven't seen this one and don't plan to, esp now, but I have learned to watch for one sign that a chic flick is going to be bad: The lead male wears sweaters. It is a sure sign of a canned plot.

21. May 24, 2009 #20

Word!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook