Do Over Achievers Ever Get You Down?

• Thread starter erok81
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of feeling underqualified or too old to pursue a graduate degree, specifically in physics. The person expressing their concerns is worried about competing with younger students who have taken advanced courses in high school, while they only maintained passing grades. However, others in the conversation offer reassurance, saying that age and previous academic achievements do not determine one's success. They believe that hard work and passion for the subject are more important and can ultimately lead to surpassing those who may have had a head start in their education.
erok81
Does this ever happen to any of you, it seems to affect me often. I am restarting school again and am about two years into it this time. Being 28 and seeing all the things people have achieved even before my age, makes it seem like school is a waste of time.:confused:

Eventually I would like my get a PhD in Physics. In high school I was just an average student doing nothing exceptional like most people. Then I see I am competing with people that were in AP math and physics classes their whole high school career while I just maintained passing grades. Now that I am in college I get mostly A’s and B’s in the classes I am taking. Then there are the high school students just entering college that are already taking higher classes than I am having met all their prerequisites beforehand while in high school.

Anyway, this is just my Sunday night rant that I have been meaning to ask someone for a while now. Do any of you feel like you are either to old or too under qualified to be going to some type of graduate degree? :grumpy:

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't say i feel that way. I moved from Biology to Computer Science so i got a little behind but i enjoy my major so much I'm not the least concerned where others are or what they're doing.

not much u can do, about don't let it get to u ...focus on urself.

I try not and I am not really thinking of it as competing with other students. Just maybe if I can do it being older and huge lack of "overachieverness".:tongue2:

Maybe I need a better way to explain it.:confused:

I just turned 27 and I'm about to graduate (finally) with my undergrad in physics. There are times that I feel old (like when I'm talking about my husband to kids who are only concerned with where they're going to party over the weekend...) but I also know that I have advantages. They may be 7 years younger, but I've spent 4 years in Investment Banking. My education means so much more to me, because I'm sacrificing for it. For me, it's not about the end goal, but about the process of learning. And when doors open to me, I'm able to identify them and act upon them in ways that someone younger may not. I think we have a distinct advantage due to our age.

just think that you probably had more fun than they did in high school. i see a lot of those kids in my classes who took all the ap tests and all that jazz. honestly, they seem to lack personality and i wonder what they'll really have to look back on when they're older. don't worry about how they're doing, just worry about yourself.

eep said:
just think that you probably had more fun than they did in high school. i see a lot of those kids in my classes who took all the ap tests and all that jazz. honestly, they seem to lack personality and i wonder what they'll really have to look back on when they're older. don't worry about how they're doing, just worry about yourself.

I'm sure they had lots of fun too.

It's not wise to look at "over" achievers and make comments about how they probably don't/didn't have fun or what not just to make yourself feel better.

i am one of those people who, as u mentioned, are taking ap calc 1 and 2, college physics, college chem 1, ap stats, and so on while still in high school.

although i know i am a bit ahead of the game, i notice a lot of other kids who are futher ahead than me. you will always enounter someone who is better than you are and you are, none the less, better than someone else.

on the contrary, if you wish to accomplish more, work harder than you think you ever could.

i am in classes with kids who were labled gifted at an eary age and i am compeating with them to get into good colleges and for a passing grade on ap exams. i am not gifited, and i don't pretend to be. i just out-work some of them. i use my love of physics for my motivation.

the will far outlasts talent. with hard work, one has the drive to acquire talent and thus surpass it.

i am one of those people who, as u mentioned, are taking ap calc 1 and 2, college physics, college chem 1, ap stats, and so on while still in high school.

although i know i am a bit ahead of the game, i notice a lot of other kids who are futher ahead than me. you will always enounter someone who is better than you are and you are, none the less, better than someone else.

on the contrary, if you wish to accomplish more, work harder than you think you ever could.

i am in classes with kids who were labled gifted at an eary age and i am compeating with them to get into good colleges and for a passing grade on ap exams. i am not gifited, and i don't pretend to be. i just out-work some of them. i use my love of physics for my motivation.

the will far outlasts talent. with hard work, one has the drive to acquire talent and thus surpass it.

Rasine said:

Inspiring words.

always think of it this way. you don't want to be five years down the road from today and thinking: "man i could be xyz by now" I am 36 with a degree in history and have started taking calculus I and Physics (nonmajors) with the intent of pursuing a bachelors in physics by the age of 38. I am liking it a lot. By the time i am 40 I hope to be doing some kind of work in physics. Enjoy yourself. Watch the second to last season of Dawson's Creek and seize the day you crazy diamond. I'll tell you what depresses me. Murray Gell-Mann Taught himself calculus at seven. Went to Yale at 15 and received his PhD from MIT at 20

Thanks for all the replies.

I guess age isn't too bad, since there seems to be a few of you here. I guess I was just getting discouraged by all the other students in my classes that are all youngsters and some of the reading I have been doing here and other places about younger people with 2x the education I have, when they are just leaving high school.

I guess like Rasine says, there are always people that will be ahead of you, so you might as well not let it bother you and just study harder.

Imagination is more important than knowledge

knowledge is the raw material of imagination. and the more you know about the world around you the deeper and more widely ranged your imagination.

if you love physics nothing else should matter, that's the end of the story, buck stops right there.

This is a very interesting thread. I am 26, and returning to school for Physics, after a pretty sucessfull career as a photographer. The thing is, I have seen it from both sides. I was a photography whizz kid. I won a major photography competition in High School, and I was always the top student in any/all photography classes. Now, I have been doing it for years, and I am whitnessing some of my former classmates passing me up. I never thought these guys would amount to squat because they seemed to lack any understanding. But, they work hard, and it seems to be paying off. Truth is, I am pretty lazy when it comes to photography. If I am going to work hard, I wanted to do something that I really loved and respected, like Physics. So now, I am way behind in the game, but I am working hard, and I have never been happier. This might be the time to interject a cheesey line "and isn't that what life is all about," but, I have a wife, and I want to have kids, so I can't be fooling around pursuing my every whim and fancy --especially with the cost of education. Suffice it to say, you need to work hard, even if you are a talent.

I am 63 and have trouble feeling sorry for 27 year olds who think they are past their prime. get a grip, kid.

mathwonk said:
I am 63 and have trouble feeling sorry for 27 year olds who think they are past their prime. get a grip, kid.

Not an easier way to say it. :approve:

Its quite annoying when you seem to work your butt off to get to the same place as someone else when they seem to do it so easily...

but it feels good because u know u put in 100% effort and you deserve 100% of the good stuff.
I have a friend whose like always saying to me urr soo good at everything, its annoying because she doesn't work that hard and complains that she's not doing so well.(just lazy/not motivated)

Last edited:
I'm a chronic underachiever, if you compare yourself to people like me, "glad not to be in his position", it'll make you feel a lot better about yourself. You'll notice all the things you are doing right, that you never bothered to notice before. :cool:

you see.. it's about time spent learning.. if you have a lot of free time.. spend it all learning. I'm sure the knucklehead kids who graduated before you quit their learning early, but my friend are on a forum. A forum of knowledge and the ability to study things in depth.

Spend all the time you can learning about things left and right. Learn harder, faster, better! You'll excel past those who cakewalked everything.

1. How do overachievers affect those around them?

Overachievers can have a variety of effects on those around them. Some may feel inspired or motivated by their high achievements, while others may feel intimidated or pressured to compete. It ultimately depends on the individual and their relationship with the overachiever.

2. Is it possible for overachievers to burn out?

Yes, just like anyone else, overachievers can experience burnout. They may push themselves too hard and neglect self-care, leading to exhaustion, physical health issues, and decreased motivation and productivity.

3. What are some potential drawbacks of being an overachiever?

Overachievers may face high levels of stress, anxiety, and perfectionism. They may struggle with work-life balance and have difficulty enjoying the present moment. Additionally, their drive for success may lead to strained relationships or a lack of fulfillment in other areas of life.

4. Can overachieving behavior be a sign of underlying issues?

It is possible that overachieving behavior can stem from underlying issues such as low self-esteem, a fear of failure, or a need for external validation. It is important for individuals to reflect on their motivations and seek support if needed.

5. How can one support an overachiever without enabling their behavior?

One way to support an overachiever is by encouraging them to take breaks and prioritize self-care. It is also important to remind them that their worth is not solely based on their achievements. Additionally, setting boundaries and having open and honest communication can help prevent enabling their overachieving behavior.