Do Partial Spatial Dimensions Exist?

• Thread starter wolfpax50
  • Start date
I've read a fair amount about the "Many Worlds" hypothesis, and to me it just lacks in some big ways. I am not aware (correct me if I'm wrong) of any known way to falsify such a theory, and if a theory cannot be falsified, it really cannot be called "science". Philosophy, certainly. But not science. The other issue that concerns me with this hypothesis is a lack of testable predictions (again, correct me if I'm wrong). For a theory to, so to speak, add value to science, it must make meaningfully testable predictions in the real world that extend our base of knowledge in one or more subject areas. All of the big ones have done this very thing (relativity, quantum theory, gravity, etc.), but the Many Worlds hypothesis seems like something more akin to the musings of my 6 year old than it does real science. Obviously, if the theory allowed for meaningful falsification (not saying that it IS false, just that there are ways we could prove it false if it were in fact false), and could offer testable predictions that are within our grasp within the next 500 years, then I think I would be more comfortable with the theory of Many Worlds.

I do like that lecture on the discrete/continuous nature of spacetime. Thanks for the link Naty1!

wait, if you bend the one dimensional line, doesn't that send it into the second dimension? How can a line be "squiggly" but be between dimensions?

DaveC426913
Gold Member
wait, if you bend the one dimensional line, doesn't that send it into the second dimension? How can a line be "squiggly" but be between dimensions?
The one dimensional line can be curved in more than one dimension, but the line remains one dimensional.

What defines it as one-dimensional is that, no matter how much you twist, turn and tie it into a knot, it still only takes a single coordinate to uniquely define a point on it.

In the same sense the surface of a sphere, while it is curved in thee dimensions, is still only a two dimensional surface - you only need two coordinates (eg. latitude and longitude, or x and y) to uniquely define any point on it.

The one dimensional line can be curved in more than one dimension, but the line remains one dimensional.

What defines it as one-dimensional is that, no matter how much you twist, turn and tie it into a knot, it still only takes a single coordinate to uniquely define a point on it.

In the same sense the surface of a sphere, while it is curved in thee dimensions, is still only a two dimensional surface - you only need two coordinates (eg. latitude and longitude, or x and y) to uniquely define any point on it.
hmm, okay, thanks