Exploring Photo-Sensor Measurements for Brightness Change Evaluation

In summary, the person is using photo-sensors from commercial and industrial cameras to document an experiment and is unsure if the absolute values in the images are weighted by a luminosity function in the camera or if the eye does the weighting. They are advised to ask the sensor manufacturer for a "quantum efficiency" curve to determine the spectral weighting function of the sensor. It is also noted that cameras are inherently monochrome and color is added in post-processing. The eye's sensitivity and perception is not linear and time-dependent, making it difficult for a photometer to accurately measure perceived brightness.
Kamuro
Hello,

I'm using photo-sensors from commercial and industrial cameras to document an experiment. Afterwarde I evaluate the change in brightness during the test of a fixed segment of every image I took. The ambient light condition is stable and the images are in raw files, but I'm unsure how raw they are.

I read that in photometry, the radiant power of each wavelength is weighted by a luminosity function, because they want to mimic the sensitivity of the human eye to different wavelengths.

Does this happen here, too? I mean, I know that the sensors are reading absolute values, but are the absolute values weighted by a luminosity function in the camera afterwards? Or do the images contain the absolute values and our eye does the weightening?

In the end, I just want to know if the pixel of the images I reading out are in absolute or weighted values. I could not find anything so far on the web. I'm grateful for every help I'm getting!

regards
Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Kamuro said:
In the end, I just want to know if the pixel of the images I reading out are in absolute or weighted values. I could not find anything so far on the web. I'm grateful for every help I'm getting!

I think you should ask the sensor manufacturer for a 'quantum efficiency' curve, that will tell you the spectral weighting function of the sensor. I doubt the QE curve will match a photometric curve...

Likes Asymptotic and BvU
Interesting question. I would think that for most higher end commercial/industrial/scientific cameras you are getting the "raw" output because it is more useful for post-processing to have all the data.

Also, it would be logically flawed to filter the light according to human vision when recording the image because then if you display the image it looks double-filtered -- unless you are specifically trying to measure something according to human perception (which is itself variable and imprecise).

That said, it is important to remember that pretty much all cameras are inherently monochrome and color is typically added in post-processing based on selective filtering during image acquisition.

@Kamuro
If you are discussing Photometry then the following Wiki statement is relevant:
"Photometry is the science of the measurement of light, in terms of its perceived brightness to the human eye."
So that answers one of your questions.
Kamuro said:
Or do the images contain the absolute values and our eye does the weighting?
The eye cannot be relied on to do the weighting.
The logic is that the eye / brain could only do the weighting precisely if the precise spectrum of the original scene were presented to it. This never happens in any imaging system. A monochrome camera / photometer will have a weighting filter and it would, presumably, have a monochrome display of some sort of colour. If the display is 'white' than the particular white point would need to be specified. Clearly not practical. A colour camera uses three colour analysis with three filters and the display uses three primaries for the display. The analysis and display are aimed at giving as good subjective colour match as possible (it cannot reproduce the spectrum of the scene) - the eye can only work with that.
A photometer will give you a number (perhaps three numbers) - not a picture of a colour.

In addition, the eye's sensitivity / perception is not linear and it is time dependent (dark adaptation etc.). If a photometer is to give the perceived brightness for an observer, there would be a lot of calibration needed, to take actual light levels and viewing conditions.

Likes pinball1970

1. What is the purpose of exploring photo-sensor measurements for brightness change evaluation?

The purpose of exploring photo-sensor measurements for brightness change evaluation is to accurately measure and analyze changes in brightness levels over time. This can be useful in various fields such as lighting design, photography, and environmental monitoring.

2. How do photo-sensors measure brightness?

Photo-sensors, also known as light sensors, measure brightness by converting light energy into an electrical signal. This signal is then processed and converted into a numerical value that represents the brightness level.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of photo-sensor measurements?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of photo-sensor measurements, including the sensitivity and calibration of the sensor, ambient light conditions, and the placement of the sensor in relation to the light source.

4. What are some potential applications of exploring photo-sensor measurements for brightness change evaluation?

Some potential applications of exploring photo-sensor measurements for brightness change evaluation include monitoring changes in natural light for plant growth, evaluating the effectiveness of different lighting systems in buildings, and analyzing the impact of light pollution on the environment.

5. How can the data from photo-sensor measurements be used to improve lighting design?

The data from photo-sensor measurements can be used to optimize lighting design by providing insights on the most effective placement and intensity of light sources. It can also help identify areas where lighting may need to be adjusted for energy efficiency or to create a desired ambiance.