1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do photons decay?

1. Apr 12, 2008 #1

dst

From what I gather, even the proton has a probability to break apart after however long.

Is this valid for photons as well? Supposing they did decay, then would there be a second "cosmic event horizon" by which light from a certain distance can't reach us regardless of time?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2008 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, as far as I know photons cannot decay. But as you say, even if there was some mechanism by which a photon could decay, due to time dilation the decay would never be observed in any reference frame.

4. Apr 12, 2008 #3

dst

Bleurgh!

So what constraints do we have on our information apart from this event horizon? Anything time-independant?

5. Apr 12, 2008 #4
    If a photon would decay into massive particles, then it would violate momentum or energy conservation: a massless particle always has more momentum than an equal energy massive particle.

6. Apr 13, 2008 #5
    although this was not the main part of your question, I would like to provide a clarification to this point.

there exist some theories that the proton might decay, but until now there is no experimental evidence for this. the guys at the super-kamiokande detector herded quite a lot of protons together, watched them, and - nothing happened !

so all we can say at the moment is, that there is a lower boundary for the half-life of the proton (I think its 10^35 years, could anybody confirm / correct this number ?). but it might very well be that the half-life is in fact infinite, i.e. the proton might not decay at all.

7. Apr 13, 2008 #6

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

Yeah I've read (I believe in a book by Martin Rees) that the lower bound is somewhere around 10^35 years for decay of a proton.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook