Do Photons Decay? Cosmic Event Horizons Explained

In summary, there are theories that suggest protons and photons can decay, but there is currently no experimental evidence for this. The lower bound for the half-life of a proton is estimated to be around 10^35 years, but it is possible that it may not decay at all. There are also constraints on the decay of photons due to momentum and energy conservation.
dst
From what I gather, even the proton has a probability to break apart after however long.

Is this valid for photons as well? Supposing they did decay, then would there be a second "cosmic event horizon" by which light from a certain distance can't reach us regardless of time?

Science news on Phys.org
No, as far as I know photons cannot decay. But as you say, even if there was some mechanism by which a photon could decay, due to time dilation the decay would never be observed in any reference frame.

Bleurgh!

So what constraints do we have on our information apart from this event horizon? Anything time-independant?

If a photon would decay into massive particles, then it would violate momentum or energy conservation: a massless particle always has more momentum than an equal energy massive particle.

dst said:
From what I gather, even the proton has a probability to break apart after however long.

although this was not the main part of your question, I would like to provide a clarification to this point.

there exist some theories that the proton might decay, but until now there is no experimental evidence for this. the guys at the super-kamiokande detector herded quite a lot of protons together, watched them, and - nothing happened !

so all we can say at the moment is, that there is a lower boundary for the half-life of the proton (I think its 10^35 years, could anybody confirm / correct this number ?). but it might very well be that the half-life is in fact infinite, i.e. the proton might not decay at all.

Yeah I've read (I believe in a book by Martin Rees) that the lower bound is somewhere around 10^35 years for decay of a proton.

1. What are photons?

Photons are elementary particles that make up electromagnetic radiation, including visible light, radio waves, and X-rays. They have no mass and travel at the speed of light.

2. Do photons decay?

No, photons do not decay. They are considered to be stable particles and do not break down into smaller particles over time.

3. What is a cosmic event horizon?

A cosmic event horizon is the boundary in space beyond which light cannot reach us. This is due to the expansion of the universe and the speed at which objects are moving away from us.

4. How does the cosmic event horizon relate to photons?

Since photons travel at the speed of light, they cannot travel beyond the cosmic event horizon. This means that any information or light from objects beyond this horizon cannot reach us, making it impossible for us to observe them.

5. Can the cosmic event horizon change over time?

Yes, the cosmic event horizon can change over time as the universe continues to expand. This means that the boundary of what we can observe will also change, potentially revealing new objects and information as the universe expands.