1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do Physicists Have To Work From Big Cities?

1. Jul 30, 2005 #1
    [SOLVED] Do Physicists Have To Work From Big Cities?

Let us say you are fresh out of college with a PHD in physics, do you have to work in a city? When I get older I would have rather lived in a small town, but am I allowed to have a job from a small town and still make a good living? Or do you have to live in a bigger city to actually get a job in the physics feild?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2005 #2
    Just commute

4. Jul 30, 2005 #3
    how many physics jobs do you think there are in the "small towns"? None.

Most likely you'll have to commute.

5. Jul 30, 2005 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

What about Livermoore? I drove by there and it didnt seem like there were more then 100,000 people living there! But then again it was just a drive through to get to Oakland...

6. Jul 30, 2005 #5
    I doubt that. I live 'near' Oak Ridge and the UT space institute, and I practically live on a farm. I believe most major national labs are not inside major cities. And what about all the colleges that are rurally located, they don't count?

7. Jul 30, 2005 #6
    some particle accelerators are located in remote areas. astronomical observatory too.

8. Jul 30, 2005 #7
    Wasn't the OP some dude who wanted to go into politics, possibly on the national level?

9. Jul 30, 2005 #8

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

10. Jul 30, 2005 #9

Pengwuino

Gold Member

11. Jul 31, 2005 #10

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There are 2 PhD phyicisits in the group I work with, and there are others on site I do not know, local population ~50K.

What is you idea of a small town?

12. Jul 31, 2005 #11

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

13. Jul 31, 2005 #12
    My city is only ~50k people but we have a university so I'm assuming there's some physics PhDs. I consider it a pretty small city :smile:

14. Jul 31, 2005 #13

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I have heard and read many strange questions about physicists (no, all of us do not work in making nuclear bombs), but I'd say this one is way up there in the degree of strangeness - and there's not even a quark involved.

Zz.

15. Aug 1, 2005 #14
    lol, prety small. I grew up in a town which would considered quite small. A population of about 15,000.

There are actually theoretical physist I know in my town, but he has almost no name in the scientific community. I also assume that if there are any phsyics research centers that they won't be payed as much as someone who let's say works at UC Davis or UC Berkeley. Is this true? And if they are no centers or a small center are you allowed do your job by getting the order from the big center?

For example if you work for the UC Davis physics team can you go there once, twice, or three times a week and get your work info or research info and work on it at home or some scientific center?

16. Aug 1, 2005 #15

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A lot of good State US universities are based in small towns, or have large campuses in small towns (the notable exceptions would be California and Washington, though I hear that RIverside is small and they have Jon Baez). PSU for instance is a good State Univeristy for physics that is in a tiny town (State College). Or do you mean non-academic?

17. Aug 1, 2005 #16

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Have you been to Los Alamos? Do you know how isolated that place is? Even if you live in the surrounding area (not in Santa Fe), it is considered a REMOTE area, by any standard.....

Unless, of course, you consider Los Alamos National lab as a "small center" that make insignificant contribution to science/physics.

Want more? How "big" do you think Urbana, IL is? You drive by it and if you blink, you'll miss it. Yet, UIUC is a very renowned university with big-time research and big-time physicists. The same can be said about Cornell. Try getting to Ithaca NY.

Zz.

18. Aug 1, 2005 #17

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Silverback, if you want to be in a place with a population below 15,000 (for whatever reason), then you have choices ranging from the smaller university towns (Princeton, State College, etc.) to some of the national labs (LANL, Sandia, etc.). But even at Penn State, during the football season weekends, there will be over a 100,000 people in town. Think you can handle that ? :wink:

19. Aug 2, 2005 #18
    The reason why I like to live in a small town is because I cannot live without nature. Well, I maybe could live without nature, the last few years I have been in a bigger city but once I start my private life after college I would rather live in for example a 100 acre land close to wildlife and nature. I was actually thinking of living close to Lake Tahoe or some place in Placer County and El Dorado County in California, but most town there are really small.

I actually done mind 100,000 people, but it has to be isolated with forests and stuff surounding it. The problem is I don't know many places towns this big with no city right next to it.

Do any of you know a high paying center in North Eastern California or Western Nevada? Especially if anyone knows any places in South Lake Tahoe (a large small town of about 21,000 I think).

20. Aug 2, 2005 #19
    I checked Los Alamos looks interesting, though it is not my favorite climate. But definatley yea that is a very famous research center, didn't know it only had 18,000 though. Know any others in the West US?

21. Aug 2, 2005 #20
    You could retire to a small town, during the summers I live in my home town which is now made up of 6 smaller towns, the the combined population is 4600, I'd say my town alone is about 1600-2000. Anyways, there is a super genius here that retired from NASA prematurely, he had multiple PHD's in physics, languages, politics, but he got too smart. Now he lives in a tiny house reclusive to the world and boards up all his rooms in the winter to save energy. He currently makes a living off tutoring math and physics, and scrimps together enough change to buy cheap carbon batteries sometimes to listen to his radio. Very interesting fellow to talk to, very very smart. But I don't think you want to revert to that lifestyle.
    Pointless story probably.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?