Physicists & Swimming: How They Balance Number-Crunching & Exercise

• Thread starter Blenton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physicists
In summary, despite spending all day crunching numbers, physicists somehow find the time to swim. However, before diving in, they carefully measure and analyze the water. They also use floating point algorithms to avoid sinking. And while there's a story about Archimedes taking a bath, it's uncertain if physicists even bathe. But when they do swim, it's unclear if they're actually swimming or not until someone observes them.
Blenton
They're crunching numbers all day, how do they find the time to swim?

Physics news on Phys.org
:rofl:...hilarious!

Well, before swimming, they have to check the fluid density and temperature of the water, make sure that the root-mean-square speed of the molecules, well...

I'll have to conclude no.

10/10

They try, but they always observe the water too intensely and collapse the wave function.
I know, that was bad. Sorry!

Don't be sorry, I already ran a series of bad jokes.

I got one I got one...

wait...wait...

They need to use...wait...

In order to keep from sinking they have to use... hang on...just a minute...

It's no problem if they use floating point algorithms!Huh? Yeah? Huh?

There's a story Archimedes took a bath once, but that may be apocryphal, so I don't think we can confidently assume physicists even bathe.

First, assume that the body of water is spherical...

No, they don't swim.

I remain stationary and the water (and pool) move past me - can't work out why I'm so tired afterward..

They either swim... *puts on shades* ...or they don't.

They are swimming and not swimming - until you observe them.

What is the connection between physicists and swimming?

Many physicists, such as Albert Einstein and Stephen Hawking, were avid swimmers. Swimming can provide a break from the intense mental work of physics and also improve focus and concentration.

How do physicists balance their time between number-crunching and exercise?

It can be challenging for physicists to balance their time between their demanding research and exercise, but many find that exercise actually helps them think more clearly and be more productive. They may schedule specific times for exercise or take short breaks throughout the day to move their bodies.

What are the physical benefits of swimming for physicists?

Swimming is a low-impact exercise that can improve cardiovascular health, muscle strength, and flexibility. It also provides a full-body workout, which can help relieve tension and improve overall physical well-being.

How does swimming help physicists mentally?

Swimming can help physicists reduce stress and improve mental clarity. The repetitive motion and rhythmic breathing can also be meditative and help them relax and clear their minds. This can be especially beneficial for solving complex problems and coming up with new ideas.

Can swimming help physicists in their research?

Yes, swimming can indirectly help physicists in their research by providing a break from intense mental work and improving overall well-being. It can also help them think more creatively and come up with new ideas. Additionally, swimming in a pool or open water can be a peaceful and serene environment, which can be conducive to deep thinking and problem-solving.