Do Politics Corrupt? - Is It Inherently Corrupting?

• News
  • Thread starter Entropy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    politics
In summary, I think politics inherently corrupts, although I don't believe it corrupts everyone. I think it is the power and money involved in politics that corrupts.
Entropy
Do you think politics inherently corrupts? I think so. Even if you start out with good intentions, it seems like you'd be corrupted to an extent. I don't know why, but I always feel like politians are lying to me. Anyone else feel the same way? Nah, it's probably just me.

Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose it depends on what you mean by corrupts as well as what level of politics you are referring (i.e., local level vs. federal level).

I don't think the level matters
ever see a poor elected offical??
at any level?

the abuse of power and chance of corruption is all most 100%
my dad said , if they are in office , they are stealing
so just vote for the other guy, they are not stealing YET
and it will take a little time for them to learn how to steal

term limits are a good idea
one term is a better idea
REELECT NOBODY

Corrupt politicians tend to be people one does not agree with so I believe it is the citizen that imagines the idea of "corruption" for most politicians (and when I say most, I mean including all levels of government). It's only human to react to someone doing something you don't like by over-reacting or feeling like that person must be evil.

Think of as many politicians as you can that you think are corrupt and then ask yourself whether you are on the same page as them as far as opinions go and I bet there's a pattern.

Foremost money, and then power corrupts. It takes a lot of money to become elected, and once elected then there is power. We should eliminate campaign contributions, candidates should be selected based on qualifications, and then each candidate should be given equal time to debate per public announcement airtime.

SOS2008 said:
Foremost money, and then power corrupts. It takes a lot of money to become elected, and once elected then there is power. We should eliminate campaign contributions, candidates should be selected based on qualifications, and then each candidate should be given equal time to debate per public announcement airtime.
Well, voters should be intelligent and well-informed on all issues related to business of government. :rolleyes:

I don't believe every politician is corrupt. There are many I respect, like Warren Rudman and John Danforth, although I don't necessarily agree with their positions 100%.

Locally, we've had some doozies with regard to corruption, including suicide and homicide.

And then there is http://www.opensecrets.org/politicians/summary.asp?cycle=2006&cid=N00005892

and - http://www.pcactionfund.org/delayspocket/

Last edited by a moderator:
Entropy said:
Do you think politics inherently corrupts?

I see no reason to believe as much, but I suspect attribution theory has something to say about that belief's persistence.

Further thought - the political arena is attractive to corrupt and otherwise arrogant individuals.

I know many decent people who should be in political office, but they do not wish to deal with the aggressive or hostile political environment.

Hey I should run for office. :biggrin:

Well, voters should be intelligent and well-informed on all issues related to business of government.

I think we'll lose corruption before people start becoming intelligent. :wink:

One of my favorite quotes is "Too bad all the people that should be running the world are teaching." That's so true.

i think we have lost sight of the original question. does government corrupt? in principle, no it doesnt. but the power and money involved in politics does corrupt. and i think the level of corruption is proportionate to the level of government(higherl levels are more susceptible to corruption than say, the local level.)but i do not believe it corrupts everyone. i think it weakens the ideals and morals of some, and it corrupts a little fewer than that.

1) What is the definition of political corruption?

Political corruption refers to the misuse of public power or resources for personal gain. This can include bribery, embezzlement, nepotism, and other forms of unethical behavior in the political sphere.

2) Is political corruption a global issue?

Yes, political corruption is a widespread problem that affects countries all over the world. It can be found in both developed and developing nations, and can take many different forms depending on the specific political and cultural context.

3) How does political corruption impact society?

Political corruption can have serious negative effects on society. It can undermine trust in government and democratic institutions, lead to economic inequality, and hinder social progress. It can also divert resources away from important public services and programs, causing harm to vulnerable populations.

4) Are there any factors that contribute to political corruption?

There are many factors that can contribute to political corruption, including a lack of transparency and accountability in government, weak or nonexistent anti-corruption laws and enforcement, and a culture of impunity where those in power are not held accountable for their actions.

5) Can political corruption be eliminated?

While it may be difficult to completely eliminate political corruption, there are steps that can be taken to reduce its prevalence. This includes implementing strong anti-corruption laws and enforcement mechanisms, promoting transparency and accountability in government, and fostering a culture of integrity and ethical leadership. It also requires the active participation and vigilance of citizens to hold their leaders accountable and demand ethical behavior from their elected officials.