Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do politics corrupt?

1. Jan 20, 2006 #1
    Do you think politics inherently corrupts? I think so. Even if you start out with good intentions, it seems like you'd be corrupted to an extent. I don't know why, but I always feel like politians are lying to me. Anyone else feel the same way? Nah, it's probably just me.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2006 #2
    I suppose it depends on what you mean by corrupts as well as what level of politics you are referring (i.e., local level vs. federal level).
  4. Jan 20, 2006 #3
    I donot think the level matters
    ever see a poor elected offical??
    at any level?

the abuse of power and chance of corruption is all most 100%
    my dad said , if they are in office , they are stealing
    so just vote for the other guy, they are not stealing YET
    and it will take a little time for them to learn how to steal

term limits are a good idea
    one term is a better idea
  5. Jan 20, 2006 #4

Gold Member

Corrupt politicians tend to be people one does not agree with so I believe it is the citizen that imagines the idea of "corruption" for most politicians (and when I say most, I mean including all levels of government). It's only human to react to someone doing something you don't like by over-reacting or feeling like that person must be evil.

Think of as many politicians as you can that you think are corrupt and then ask yourself whether you are on the same page as them as far as opinions go and I bet there's a pattern.
  6. Jan 21, 2006 #5

Gold Member

Foremost money, and then power corrupts. It takes a lot of money to become elected, and once elected then there is power. We should eliminate campaign contributions, candidates should be selected based on qualifications, and then each candidate should be given equal time to debate per public announcement airtime.
  7. Jan 21, 2006 #6

Staff: Mentor

Well, voters should be intelligent and well-informed on all issues related to business of government. :rolleyes:

I don't believe every politician is corrupt. There are many I respect, like Warren Rudman and John Danforth, although I don't necessarily agree with their positions 100%.

Locally, we've had some doozies with regard to corruption, including suicide and homicide.

And then there is Tom DeLay

and - http://www.pcactionfund.org/delayspocket/
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2006
  8. Jan 21, 2006 #7
    I see no reason to believe as much, but I suspect attribution theory has something to say about that belief's persistence.
  9. Jan 21, 2006 #8

Staff: Mentor

Further thought - the political arena is attractive to corrupt and otherwise arrogant individuals.

I know many decent people who should be in political office, but they do not wish to deal with the aggressive or hostile political environment.

Hey I should run for office. :biggrin:
  10. Jan 21, 2006 #9
    I think we'll lose corruption before people start becoming intelligent. :wink:

One of my favorite quotes is "Too bad all the people that should be running the world are teaching." That's so true.
  11. Jul 21, 2008 #10
    i think we have lost sight of the original question. does government corrupt? in principle, no it doesnt. but the power and money involved in politics does corrupt. and i think the level of corruption is proportionate to the level of government(higherl levels are more susceptible to corruption than say, the local level.)but i do not believe it corrupts everyone. i think it weakens the ideals and morals of some, and it corrupts a little fewer than that.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?