B Do rocks have energy?

Summary
I recently bought a rock necklace from a store and the seller asked me to charge it with the sun, so naturally I didn't believe it so I'm wondering if this is true.
Summary: I recently bought a rock necklace from a store and the seller asked me to charge it with the sun, so naturally I didn't believe it so I'm wondering if this is true.

Can rocks be charged with solar energy and if so what can you do with it?

Summary: I recently bought a rock necklace from a store and the seller asked me to charge it with the sun, so naturally I didn't believe it so I'm wondering if this is true.

As Daves says, you can heat them up. The rest is New Age woo woo BS.

fresh_42

Mentor
Insights Author
2018 Award
Oil and salt are better containers for solar heat.

Rocks containing radioactive materials (e.g. pitchblende) will radiate energy as the radioactives decay.

There are also luminescent minerals that can glow or otherwise express energy, and sometimes need to be acted upon by chemicals, electrical energy, stress and other things.

There are fluorescent minerals that will glow in the presence of ultraviolet light:

....but I don't think that the seller is speaking of any of these things. From the context, it sounds kinda like the suggestion was some kinda New Agey mystical woo woo thing.

FWIW.... rocks and minerals have a lot of VERY interesting properties. Start digging on the subjects of Geology generally, and slightly more particularly Mineralogy and Petrology.

Here is a fun place to start:

diogenesNY

Last edited:

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
2018 Award

Next time, ask the person directly. What does he/she mean by "charge it"? What exactly is the rock storing? Has he/she ever measured it and detected it? Etc.. etc.

Otherwise, you are trying to ask us to interpret what someone else told you. This is a recipe for a lot of miscommunication and misinterpretation.

Zz.

Related to this discussion of crystals would be the ever popular Himalayan Salt lamps which apparent ionic health benefits. However, that was disproven recently by some simple controlled experiments.

And Veritaseum on ion benefits

fresh_42

Mentor
Insights Author
2018 Award
I think we long left the basis of a serious scientific debate.

Thread closed.

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving