Do Rocks Absorb Solar Energy?

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of charging rocks with solar energy and what can be done with it. The consensus is that while rocks can absorb and release heat from the sun, there is no evidence to support the idea of charging them with solar energy for any specific purpose. Other interesting properties of rocks and minerals are mentioned, but it is recommended to ask the seller for clarification on their statement instead of relying on interpretations from others. The conversation also briefly touches on the debunked health benefits of Himalayan salt lamps.
CocoLegendary
TL;DR Summary
I recently bought a rock necklace from a store and the seller asked me to charge it with the sun, so naturally I didn't believe it so I'm wondering if this is true.
Summary: I recently bought a rock necklace from a store and the seller asked me to charge it with the sun, so naturally I didn't believe it so I'm wondering if this is true.

Can rocks be charged with solar energy and if so what can you do with it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. The sun will heat them up. You can use that to warm your skin.

Other than that, no.

Likes mfb, nsaspook, russ_watters and 2 others
CocoLegendary said:
Summary: I recently bought a rock necklace from a store and the seller asked me to charge it with the sun, so naturally I didn't believe it so I'm wondering if this is true.

As Daves says, you can heat them up. The rest is New Age woo woo BS.

Likes jedishrfu
CocoLegendary said:
Summary: I recently bought a rock necklace from a store and the seller asked me to charge it with the sun,
I think he meant to say “charge it with the SunTrust Visa card”

• Haha
Likes russ_watters, davenn, jedishrfu and 4 others
Oil and salt are better containers for solar heat.

Likes jedishrfu
Rocks containing radioactive materials (e.g. pitchblende) will radiate energy as the radioactives decay.

https://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/pitchblende
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uraninite
There are also luminescent minerals that can glow or otherwise express energy, and sometimes need to be acted upon by chemicals, electrical energy, stress and other things.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luminescence
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Luminescent_minerals
There are fluorescent minerals that will glow in the presence of ultraviolet light:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorescence...but I don't think that the seller is speaking of any of these things. From the context, it sounds kinda like the suggestion was some kinda New Agey mystical woo woo thing.

FWIW... rocks and minerals have a lot of VERY interesting properties. Start digging on the subjects of Geology generally, and slightly more particularly Mineralogy and Petrology.

Here is a fun place to start:

https://www.worldcat.org/title/gems...ng-and-using-rocks-and-minerals/oclc/21116813diogenesNY

Last edited:
Likes davenn, jedishrfu and DaveE
diogenesNY said:
From the context, it sounds kinda like the suggestion was some kinda New Agey mystical woo woo thing.
Ha. Why didn't I think of that :smile:

Likes jedishrfu
CocoLegendary said:

Next time, ask the person directly. What does he/she mean by "charge it"? What exactly is the rock storing? Has he/she ever measured it and detected it? Etc.. etc.

Otherwise, you are trying to ask us to interpret what someone else told you. This is a recipe for a lot of miscommunication and misinterpretation.

Zz.

Likes mfb, Vanadium 50, jim mcnamara and 1 other person
@phinds - Great minds think alike :)

diogenesNY

Likes jedishrfu
phinds said:
Ha. Why didn't I think of that :smile:
I think you are an innocent young man in a wicked wicked world. :blushing:

• Haha
Likes davenn
I think we long left the basis of a serious scientific debate.

Thread closed.

Likes davenn

1. Do all rocks have energy?

Yes, all rocks have energy in the form of potential and kinetic energy. Potential energy is stored energy that is waiting to be released, while kinetic energy is the energy of motion.

2. How do rocks get energy?

Rocks get energy from various sources such as the sun, wind, water, and other geological processes. The sun provides energy through heat and light, while wind and water can erode and shape rocks, releasing energy in the process.

3. Can rocks produce energy?

Yes, rocks can produce energy through various processes such as radioactive decay, friction, and piezoelectricity. Radioactive decay is the process by which unstable elements in rocks release energy, while friction and pressure can create heat and electricity through piezoelectricity.

4. How does energy in rocks affect the environment?

The energy in rocks can have a significant impact on the environment. For example, weathering and erosion caused by the energy in rocks can shape the landscape and create habitats for plants and animals. Additionally, the release of energy from rocks can contribute to natural disasters such as earthquakes and volcanic eruptions.

5. Can we harness energy from rocks?

Yes, we can harness energy from rocks through various methods such as geothermal energy, hydropower, and fossil fuels. Geothermal energy uses the heat from rocks deep within the earth to generate electricity, while hydropower harnesses the energy of moving water. Fossil fuels, such as coal and oil, are formed from ancient organic matter, including rocks, and are used as a source of energy.