Do scientists drink coffee?

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Recently, I have noticed that essentially everyone I know regularly drinks coffee. I have never drank coffee and I just find this an interesting historical trend. A lot of the people I know seem to drink in the fashion of Paul Erdos's famous quote: "A mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into theorems" but the trend seems to be just as popular outside of the mathematics community as well. I guess one obvious reason people drink it is that it helps keep you awake in the morning or late at night. However, just eating breakfast usually wakes me up in the morning and if I want to stay up late to finish an assignment or something I usually just push myself through it. Furthermore, I have always disliked the taste of plain coffee. Of course, the Starbucks renditions taste amazing with their overwhelm-the-drinker-with-sugar taste.

Anyone have any insights into this?

Answers and Replies

G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I, personally, am absolutely addicted to the stuff. I usually have at least one cup in the morning and possible one after dinner, maybe more if the events of the day prescribe it!

Today, I have already had two cups, with another one tempting me! I love coffee. That is why I drink it. I like the taste and it helps wake me up in the morning. I think thats all there is too it. People like the drink, so they drink it.

To answer the thread topic question, no I don't drink coffee. Its mostly because I don't like the taste. Some sort of coffee/chocolate combo drink is nice occasionally though.

I almost think that coffee is an addiction problem for many people... especially those who say, "I can't function in the morning without my coffee!!" and then giggle like its no big deal.

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
My name is BobG and I'm a coffee addict.

There's ways to quit, but they all carry the potential to destroy civilization as we know it: http://www.energyfiend.com/wp-content/dil.gif [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope, don't drink it, only decaf because I like it with milk now and then.

Caffeine isn't good for me, I get shaky :D.

I stopped drinking coffee 8 months ago after I realized that it was acting as a laxative for me.

Once in a while I might gulp a cup of coffee. Everyone I know is addicted, and they give me trouble for not joining their club.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Yep, definitely an addict here. I've always liked coffee since the first time I tasted it, though. I've known people who really don't like it and pour in the sugar and milk to make it palatable just so they can get the caffeine...that I don't quite understand. Even stranger is my boyfriend who drinks nothing caffeinated and somehow manages to still function on only about 5 hours of sleep at night...I keep looking for where the battery door is.

Doc Al
Mentor
I've known people who really don't like it and pour in the sugar and milk to make it palatable just so they can get the caffeine...that I don't quite understand.
Pure and black is the only true path! While I've switched to green tea at the office, I more than make up for it on the weekends.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I've pretty much had a cup of coffee in my hand since I was twelve years old.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Pure and black is the only true path! While I've switched to green tea at the office, I more than make up for it on the weekends.
Well, I do like a little milk and sugar, but mostly that's because it's difficult to get really good coffee around here. I LOVE a really good cup of espresso, though, if it's made right (if you have to do it as a "shot" or add milk and sugar, it's not made right).

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hmm...it might be a bit cold by now. Maybe it's time to get a fresh cup. :biggrin:

turbo
Gold Member
Victim of a superglue prank? :rolleyes:

turbo
Gold Member
Every morning I fire up the Espresso-maker and I load grounds to the maximum and fill with enough water to make 4 (demitasse) cups. Into my big National Zoological Park mug if goes - strong, hot and black. Usually, I have just one cup, but I'm feeling pretty crappy today after being exposed to some perfume yesterday, so I'm having a second mug now as a pick-me-up.

Last edited:
G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Personally, I like my cup(or gigantic mug if we're being realistic) with a medium amount of cream. Not enough to make the coffee a tan color, only enough to make it brownish. I also hate sugar in coffee. I think the mix between sweet and bitter just doesn't work. I like coffee more when it is just bitter. It's a drink that's meant to be bitter, and thats the way i drink it!

I drink coffee for the taste. Used to work at a coffee house and drink variations of it all day long. Currently having a night cap of espresso and irish cream. mmmm

I have never had coffee, not even a sip, and don't plan on ever trying it.

robphy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
http://www.javacabana.com/images/products/display_bustelo.jpg
...sometimes with sugar.

nabki
i don't drink coffee, although i am addicted to tea made with a high sugar ppm, yebra-matte and occasionally a cup of nescafe (gold).
there is a type of coffee, iconic in Arab countries that makes you go _as terry pratchett puts it_ knurd (opposite of drunk). people who drink that stuff in mugs don't have the physical ability to go to sleep. it actually turns solid when it cools.

Mk
A mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into theorems
There's a joke among hackers identical to that, but with nicotine. Not sure why.

I personally, hate coffee.

Dr Transport
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A cup of Starbucks everyday, if not a pot of some other variety. Also, none after lunch, I get too jittery.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
http://www.javacabana.com/images/products/display_bustelo.jpg
...sometimes with sugar.
Ooh, I like that brand for making real espresso. :approve: Can't drink that too late in the day though, or I'll be up all night! (Great when I have to stay up late working on something though...like trying to beat a deadline where I just don't have a choice about getting to sleep early and continuing the work the next day.)

I really like coffee but usually go with tea instead. There is a starbucks inside the hospital where I go to school and it is entirely to tempting, and way to expensive. I see my friends go there everyday (spending at about 5 bucks on a silly coffee) and then complain how they have no money. I find starbucks coffee much to sweet as well, to much other stuff in it, although once in a while it is a nice treat. On the opposite end of the spectrum the hospital cafeteria coffee is pretty bad hence the reason I usually just have tea.

The only time of the day you will find me not drinking coffee is between sips.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The only time of the day you will find me not drinking coffee is between sips.
LOL! Now I'm craving an espresso, but it's WAY too late at night to drink it.