Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do string theories need gravitational radiation as in GR?

1. Nov 7, 2003 #1

wolram

Gold Member

do string theories need gravitational radiation as in GR?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2003 #2
    People looked at string theory because it contained graviton/spin 2 excitations !

4. Nov 8, 2003 #3

wolram

Gold Member

maybe im wrong but probes are not looking for "GRAVITON",
    they are looking for" gravitational radiation", so if
    this is found would it be adventageous to ST?

5. Nov 8, 2003 #4

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Gravitational waves are a prediction of general relativity - an old one. String theories can produce the Einstein Equations via a graviton particle, but I don't know if any of the various versions of this include gravitational waves, or if the waves produced would differ in any experimantally detctable way from the ones predicted by GR.

The current attempts to detect the waves are driven by the GR predictions. connections to string theory would be unforeseen but welcome.

6. Nov 9, 2003 #5
    As I understand it, the gravitational wave would be the average of very many gravitons, just as the electromagnetic wave is the average of a great many photons. So we would have to construct a wave detector sensitive enough to resolve quantum levels in the wave amplitudes to prove the existence of gravitons.

7. Nov 9, 2003 #6

wolram

Gold Member

thanks SA, i can now see where the theories diverge.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?