1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do the derivate.

1. Jun 18, 2009 #1
    [tex]\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/tex]=2arctg[tex]\frac{y}{x}[/tex]

Dont know where to start with this one either.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Simply saying "Do the derivate" (or derivative) isn't sufficient. The derivatie with respect to what variable? Is the problem to find partial derivatives of that with respect to x and y or are we to assume that y is a function of x and you wish to find dy/dx?

In either case, this is the same as
    [tex](x^2+ y^2)^{1/2}= 2 arctan(\frac{y}{x})[/tex]
    If you want to find dy/dx, can you differentiate [tex](x^2+ y^2)^{1/2}[/tex] with respect to x? What about 2 arctan(y/x)? Of course, you will need to use the chain rule. If f is a function of y, which is a function of x, then df/dx= (df/dy)(dy/dx).

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  4. Jun 18, 2009 #3
    The exercise requires the differential of the expression. I think that is dy/dx.

5. Jun 18, 2009 #4
    So y is a function of x and the derivative is with respect to x. Attempt the problem first and show where you get stuck.

Recall the chain rule: [f(g(x))]' = f'(g(x)) g'(x). In this case y = g(x)

6. Jun 18, 2009 #5
    I know is something with derivating twice but i am not figuring anything out.

7. Jun 18, 2009 #6
    Have you learned the chain rule?

8. Jun 19, 2009 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

So far you haven't shown that you are even trying. What have you done?

9. Jun 19, 2009 #8

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

No, the exercise asks for the derivative, dy/dx, not the differential.

10. Jun 19, 2009 #9

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

No, you don't need to differentiate twice. Once will be enough to find the derivative, but you will need to use implicit differentiation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook