Understanding the Integral Limitations and Conversions in Polar Coordinates

• Thread starter Freya
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of solving a given integral with the specified constraints. The participants suggest using polar coordinates and explain the reasoning behind it. In the end, the answer is found to be ((pi)a^4)/8, but there is also mention of difficulty in solving it using Cartesian coordinates.
Freya
Do the following integral: I= (double integral) dx dy x^2 with 0<x^2 + y^2<a^2 , y>0?
Could someone please give me some guidance as to what the inequality means? Should I convert to polar
coordinates so it gives me 0<r^2<a^2? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]0< x^2+ y^2< a^2[/itex], y> 0 is the half disk with center at (0, 0), radius a, above the x-axis. Yes, I think polar coordinates would be simplest although it would not be that hard to do it in Cartesian coordinates. Since y> 0, [itex]x^2+ y^2= a^2[/itex] is the same as [itex]y= \sqrt{a^2- x^2}[/itex] so the integral would be [itex]\int_{x= -a}^a \int_{y= 0}^{\sqrt{a^2- x^2}} x^2 dy dx[/itex]. What would it be in polar coordinates?

Likes Freya
How does y >0 lead to x^2 + y^2 = a^2? Using polar coordinates the integral came to be (Sorry for lack of latex) integral of r^3 between 0 and a , times the integral of cos^2(theta) between 0 and pi. That came out to equal ((pi)a^4)/8. Does this sound right? Also could not seem to come to any answer using cartesian coordinates. thanks!

Freya said:
How does y >0 lead to x^2 + y^2 = a^2?
It doesn't lead to ##x^2 + y^2 = a^2##. It just limits the region of integration to the portion of the disk above the x-axis. .
Freya said:
Using polar coordinates the integral came to be (Sorry for lack of latex) integral of r^3 between 0 and a , times the integral of cos^2(theta) between 0 and pi. That came out to equal ((pi)a^4)/8. Does this sound right? Also could not seem to come to any answer using cartesian coordinates. thanks!

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the accumulation of a quantity over an interval. It is the inverse operation of differentiation and is used to find the area under a curve on a graph.

2. How do you solve an integral?

To solve an integral, you use integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions to manipulate the integrand and find a solution. You can also use tables of integrals or technology such as calculators or computer programs.

3. What does it mean to 'do' an integral?

To 'do' an integral means to find its solution or evaluate its value. This involves finding a function or number that represents the integral's accumulation or area under the curve.

4. What is the purpose of solving an integral?

Solving an integral has various purposes depending on the context. In mathematics, it helps us find the exact value of an accumulation or area under a curve. In physics and engineering, integrals are used to calculate quantities such as work, displacement, or electric charge.

5. Can all integrals be solved?

No, not all integrals can be solved analytically. Some integrals have no closed-form solution and require advanced techniques or numerical methods to approximate their value. However, most integrals encountered in basic calculus can be solved using standard integration techniques.