Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do the Mentor Shuffle!

1. Oct 2, 2005 #1

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are these all recent changes, or have I been incredibly non-observant? What are those kids doing to the mentors over at homework help that Gokul has abdicated and Halls has moved to math? I see you've brought in the big guns, Tom and Integral! :bugeye: Mostly just curious to notice this quiet shuffling of mentors has happened without mention. Is this shift just to give folks a break from the highly demanding homework help forum by rotating in different mentors, or is it to align mentors better with their areas of expertise or interest?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2005 #2
    A little bit of each and the shuffling isn't done yet :smile:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2005
  4. Oct 2, 2005 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ooh, musical mentors! I guess with all the rearranged/'new forums, the mentors need to move a bit too. It should be a fun fall with all the changes going on. *grabs hardhat to enter construction zone*

5. Oct 2, 2005 #4

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: GOKUL!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

6. Oct 2, 2005 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Now, now...I'll still be around. Albeit, not as frequently, for a while at least.

7. Oct 2, 2005 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:eek: How did you get those chains loose?! :uhh: Um, I mean, hope everything is okay. :smile:

8. Oct 2, 2005 #7

honestrosewater

Gold Member

I wonder whether Evo's domain will expand to History and Humanities... (:wink:) She must be a bit stir-crazy locked down there in the basement.

9. Oct 3, 2005 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

But is there anyone else willing to watch over the asylum inmates if she visits one of the upper levels?

10. Oct 3, 2005 #9

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I'd gladly replace you, but let's be honest: I don't know jack about physics. Anyway, whatever you're going to be doing now that will take up more of your time, I hope you have fun with it.

11. Oct 3, 2005 #10

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

You should mentor History and Humanities.

12. Oct 3, 2005 #11

JamesU

Gold Member

me me me me!!!

13. Oct 3, 2005 #12

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks lyn,
    For starters I've got a 5 week PhD candidacy exam beginning next week, so yeah...I'll be having fun ! :biggrin:

14. Oct 3, 2005 #13

Lisa!

Gold Member

Being the mentor of the HW part is really difficult. I think the mentors of this part really need some time to take a rest and have some fun after a while. So which part of PF do you recommend for that? :rolleyes:

God bless you. :uhh: I hope none of PFer would put a curse on you!
    Partly kidding, I hope you'll be successful. :smile:

15. Oct 3, 2005 #14

honestrosewater

Gold Member

There's that charming boldness again. :smile: I came across a site today that you probably already know about, but in case you don't: http://www.etymonline.com/. It did at least change the subject.

16. Oct 3, 2005 #15

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm terribly sorry, but way back in 2001 a rule was drafted and we all agreed that no one whose face looked like a human posterior would ever be appointed to the staff. I realize that you may be fully qualified, but rules are rules.

17. Oct 3, 2005 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For some reason I assumed you had already advanced to candidacy. Well, I'm sure you'll do well. Enjoy the experience. :biggrin: :rofl: Well, seriously, enjoy that this is the last time in your career that anyone will ever give you 5 weeks off from everything else that needs to get done to focus on one task. And, it will officially be the last time EVER that you need to take a written exam! Good luck on it! :smile:

Ah, well, rules are there for a reason. :biggrin:

18. Oct 3, 2005 #17

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks Moonie !

I'm not sure if different universities use different names for these things (I think they do)...but just to clarify, this is not my qualifying exam. That happened a couple of years ago. After qualifying for the PhD program, we have to take another "exam" which really isn't a written test at all. On thursday, I will be given a topic by my advisor (in consultation with the rest of my grad committee) which will be related indirectly to the area of research I'm involved in. At the end of 4 weeks, I try to learn EVERYTHING I possibly can about the subject, and turn in a written report on it. A week after the submission, I make a 3 hour presentation in front of a committee that plays the role of the Total Perspective Vortex. :eek:

Lisa!, thanks for your wishes.

19. Oct 3, 2005 #18

Lisa!

Gold Member

I know some some of members have been here since 2001, but I don't know why their join date is 2003!

20. Oct 3, 2005 #19

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What you see now is "PF v3.0". There were two other incarnations of PF, and after both switches everything started from scratch. I actually joined PF v2.0 on 3/11/02 (yes, I remember my PF birthday), but had to re-register along with everybody else in 2003.

21. Oct 3, 2005 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Every department is different, even within a university. We had a lot bundled into one qualifying exam...an all-day written exam, a 2 week take-home "exam" (the task assigned depended on your committee...usually they tried to target something they thought you might be weak in to find out if any remediation was needed before advancing to candidacy...it ranged from reviewing a few manuscripts to writing a grant proposal...students later demanded a bit more consistency on that), plus there was the oral defense of our dissertation proposal which was like dissertation defense-lite. It included a seminar to the department followed by grilling by the committee.

My friends who went through math programs seemed to have an endless series of exams...they had to pass a new exam every year, each year being a different topic. And my friends in engineering just had to sit for 2 days of written exam and nothing else other than that.

You'll do fine. The best part is that all the stress hormones you'll be producing will create a nice amnesic effect once it's all over and in a few months, you'll have already forgotten how painful it was. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?