Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do virtual particles exist in string theory?

1. Oct 27, 2004 #1
    if so, what would they be? virtual strings? and do they react in the same way as what we thought point particles acted? if not, then how do black holes radiate energy in string theory?

also, a quick question about black holes according to string theory. Is there more than one type of black hole, and if so, how do they work?

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2004 #2
    As far as I understand, there are virtual particles in string theory, since string theory basically says that all of the SM particles we thought of as point particles are actually strings. Thus, virtual particles would still exist in the form of strings, and black holes would radiate in the same way.

As for the different types of black holes, I'm pretty sure they're also all the same as the standard ones... You know, spinning, negative, positive... I'm not really a black hole expert. Turn to Kip Thorne for that. = )

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?