Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do wars come from booze?

1. Aug 12, 2003 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Obviously not all wars come from drinking alcohol. But in this light, I have often wondered what contribution alcohol may have made to world history. How many world leaders have made world class decisions using alcohol laden brains? Consider the state that booze brings to the consumer - aggressive and one lacking good judgment. Does an intoxicated person consider the big picture?

Many leaders from history were heavy drinkers. How could this not be a significant factor in the big decisions?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2003 #2

FZ+

And as for the others, they don't drink enough. Whichever one it is, we all know that they aren't drinking exactly the right amount ...

4. Aug 13, 2003 #3
    That's if they weren't taking heavier stuff like benzadrine.
    Is this inspired by the recent Discovery Europe documentary "Altered Statesmen"?

5. Aug 13, 2003 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I first considered this after watching my behavior and the behavior of friends change when we drank [long ago]. However, that Hitler and his troops were taking methamphetamines explains a lot...what a revelation! I would bet that drugs and alcohol, but especially alcohol have played a great role in history.

6. Aug 13, 2003 #5

megashawn

Science Advisor

Just in simple things alcohol has played a great factor.

An example, my early days of motorcycling. My dad was an average rider. Give him a shot or 4 of Jack Daniels and he was Jeremy McGrath.

Alcohol can be usefull, and really, as FZ said, they weren't taking the right amount.

A small amount to calm nerves can actually prove beneficial, especcially when nervousness is up.

So I'm sure if it affects little things in pretty much everyones lifes, it's also affected larger scaled things thru history.

7. Aug 14, 2003 #6

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Anyway, Bush at least is (now) a teetotaler.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?