What Exactly is Energy and How Does it Convert to Mass?

• Thread starter The thinker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of energy and its definition. The participants debate whether energy is a tangible thing or just a calculation, with some using analogies to explain its nature. The conversation also touches on the connection between matter and energy, as well as the revolutionary discovery of E=mc^2 and its implications.
The thinker
Do we know what energy "is"?

Hi everyone,

According to what I have read a string is a minute amount of vibrating energy. Is the word "energy" here used as an approximate for the lay reader?

I was led to this thought because if the vibration of strings make up matter and energy then what's the difference between the "macro energy" produced by vibration and the "pure" non vibrating energy?

Basically I'm asking, what is energy?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Energy is the potential to do work.

Topher925 said:
Energy is the potential to do work.

That doesn't really answer what energy is though just what it does.

I can't imagine a string of "potential to do work"

Energy is the sum of a calculation, not a tangible thing.

k

kenewbie said:
Energy is the sum of a calculation, not a tangible thing.

k

Thats what I used to think, but don't they say that a photon is a packet of energy?

And like I said before how can an intangible thing take the form of a string?

A photon has energy. It isn't energy itself. Energy is not a "thing". You're looking for a deeper meaning where none is necessary.

The thinker said:
Thats what I used to think, but don't they say that a photon is a packet of energy?

And like I said before how can an intangible thing take the form of a string?

It doesn't. All this is figurative talk. As Russ said, you can eventually say that a string HAS energy (or momentum or mass, or whatever other quantifiable property). The only thing that IS energy is a quantity in a calculation.

To give you an analogy: is a bank "interest rate" ?

Better: Is a bank money?

jtbell said:
Better: Is a bank money?

I was going to say that first, but money also has a tangible representation (paper money, or gold bars, or...), so this was not sufficiently abstract...

hahaha, that's what I used to think until I started reading about string theory and QM which confused me into thinking energy was physical.

So now I have two other questions:

If there is no such thing as pure energy then what is a string?

And what was so revolutionary about E=mc^2 if E is not a real thing?

Thanks again!

E=mc^2 was revolutionary because no one had connected matter and energy in that way before.

well when you think about it, energy is primarily mass. Mass is like frozen energy. It really makes you think, what exactly is energy. But when a string vibrates, it gets energy, energy converts into mass.

1. What is the definition of energy?

Energy is the ability to do work or cause change. It is a fundamental concept in physics and is present in many forms, such as thermal, electrical, chemical, and nuclear energy.

2. How is energy measured?

The standard unit for measuring energy is the joule (J). Other common units include the calorie (cal) and the kilowatt-hour (kWh).

3. Where does energy come from?

Energy can come from various sources, such as the sun, fossil fuels, wind, water, and nuclear reactions. Ultimately, all energy on Earth can be traced back to the sun.

4. Can energy be created or destroyed?

According to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be created or destroyed. It can only be converted from one form to another.

5. How do we use energy in our daily lives?

We use energy in many ways, such as powering our homes with electricity, driving cars with gasoline, and cooking food with natural gas. Energy is also used in industries to produce goods and services that we use every day.