Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do we require New Members Forum?

1. Nov 11, 2015 #1
    OK I am feeling giddly because this is my first thread on PF. Hope it generates enthusiastic debate.

The point is simple: Do we actually require "New Member Introductions" Forum? I have seen a couple of threads pop in the Unanswered Threads Forum ( which is absolutely wonderful by the way) and Ive made sure I reply to them. I know it is encouraging when someone shows an interest in you when you introduce yourself, but the replies to these threads are very rare. Further more, they do not actually serve a scientific purpose ( fictional, non-fictional or otherwise) and could be a waste of storage space for PF servers ( OK I am just assuming this ).

In addition to this, we need to also think if they actually serve their purpose? Do we remember any of the people we have welcomed in New Member Introduction Forums? Are they really "introduced"?

Cheers
    CN

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2015 #2
    No requirement, plenty of space on PF servers, just a way for new members to get their feet wet and try posting a thread.

4. Nov 11, 2015 #3

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I didn't know there was a members forum to start with. Why a new one then?

5. Nov 12, 2015 #4
  6. Nov 12, 2015 #5

Lisa!

Gold Member

We can have a new member introduction thread instead and direct newbies automatically to that thread after they activate their profiles!

7. Nov 16, 2015 #6
    @Lisa! It will clutter space up and look less neat than it is now. Plus it won't serve the purpose Greg wants it to- "get the new guys to wet their feet". I was wondering why they cant jump into action slight away. The entire forum seems quite self explanatory.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook