Is the Intel 925 Chipset's Built-In Sound System Enough for High-Quality Audio?

• Thread starter Saint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sound
In summary, the conversation discusses the built-in sound system in the Intel 925 chipset and whether it is necessary to have a separate sound card like the Creative Audigy. The general consensus is that for casual users, the built-in sound system is sufficient, but for power users and professional sound studio geeks, a high-end sound card may still be a better option. Additionally, it is mentioned that the built-in sound system may not be suitable for gaming due to the lack of EAX2 and lower sound quality compared to the Audigy 2. The conversation also touches on the enhanced VGA in the chipset, but it is noted that it is not as good as dedicated graphics cards from companies like ATI.
Saint
That day I went to see the roadshow of intel, the intel staff told me that their 925 chipset has built-in 8 channels sound system, the demo really showed a very Hi-Fi quality of sound.
my question is, do we still need sound card like creative audigy since intel chipset can deliver such a good quality sound?

Computer science news on Phys.org
My personal opinion is NO ...
Integrated sound technology is going to be the way ahead in the future(IMHO) ... i don't want to waste a slot for a sound card where i can fit much better and useful things which can be anything from a high speed lan card to high quality graphics card ...

Ofcourse lan cards and graphics card are already integrated into mother boards which means the slots can get some new stuffs ... tv tuner cards? prolly ...

Ofcourse i spoke as a general user here and some professional sound studio geek would differ with me and say that he needs more than just some 8 measly channels ...

-- AI

Slight problem here is that Intel based SC doesn't have EAX2 used in games.
there are some more problems like not same kind of sound quality (rememeber that Audigy 2 can sample at 92 kHz compared to 44,1 kHz).

Built in SC is ok for casual user that doesn't play games.

Most new motherboards have decent sound chips integrated into them. For the average user it will be sufficient. For the power user a high end sound blaster card is still a good option.

the intel 925 chipset also has enhanced VGA, however they admitted that it can not compare with ATI radeon etc.

1. Do modern computers still need sound cards?

Yes, modern computers still need sound cards in order to produce audio. While some computers may have integrated audio capabilities, a dedicated sound card can provide higher quality audio and more advanced features.

2. Are sound cards only necessary for gaming or entertainment purposes?

No, sound cards can also be useful for audio production, recording, and editing. They provide better audio quality and more precise control over sound settings, making them essential for professionals in the music or film industry.

3. Can I use external speakers without a sound card?

Yes, you can use external speakers without a sound card if your computer has integrated audio capabilities. However, if you want better audio quality and more advanced features, a sound card may be necessary.

4. How do I know if my computer has a sound card?

You can check if your computer has a sound card by going into the device manager and looking for the sound, video, and game controllers section. If you see a sound card listed, then your computer has a sound card.

5. Is it worth investing in a high-end sound card?

It depends on your needs and preferences. If you are an audiophile or work in the music or film industry, a high-end sound card may be worth the investment for its superior audio quality and advanced features. However, for the average user, a mid-range sound card should suffice.