Do you agree with gay marriage ?

• Thread starter Saint
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of gay marriage and the speakers' opinions on the matter. Some believe that as long as the couple is faithful to each other, it is acceptable. Others argue that the government should not be involved in marriage at all and that it should be replaced with civil unions or other legally defined relationships. The conversation also touches on the idea of equal rights and the legality of gay marriage. Some argue that gay couples should have the same rights and privileges as straight couples, while others believe that marriage should only be between a man and a woman. There is also discussion about the potential slippery slope of allowing gay marriage and the idea that marriage should be a private matter. The conversation ends with one speaker expressing their support for gay
Saint
It is a hot topic in US now.
From my point of view, without reference to religious teaching, it is OK as long as they are faithful to each other.

Physics news on Phys.org
No problems here. Since it doesn't hurt anybody, I'm totally ok with the idea.

Yes. equal rights mean equal rights. enough said.

Jeremy

I think it's right.

What happens in the bedroom should stay in the bedroom. I only object to gay marriage when it is thrown in my face. Who you have sex with is a private matter and should not be broadcast or pushed like a new fad. Seems like I can't even turn on the TV anymore without coming across a show about gays.

This goes for hetro's too (Janet Jackson), keep your sexual body parts and ideas to yourself. I'm tired of trying to explain this crap to my kids.

I support a constitutional admendment defining marriage as a contract between a man and two women.

Marriage is a social, civil, fiscal and religeous institution. Marriage is making a public commitment and public recognition of that commitment. It's not really about things that take place in the bedroom, but about inheretance, hospital access, health benefits, tax benefits, or having children. There is a long and well-documented tradition of marriage for financial, and political reasons in most of the world.

One of the big problems in the 'gay marriage' issue is that people have conflated the religeous, legal, and social notions of marriage. As a result, marriage is a word with many different meanings for different people.

Now, to the question: "Do you agree with gay marriage?". Do I think that gay couples should receive the same legal protections, privileges and resposibilities that straight couples do? Yes. Do I think that the government should be issuing marriage licenses to gay people? No - I don' t thinkt that the government should be in the marriage or marriage license buisiness at all.

In my opinion, marriage, and married should be systematically removed from the laws in this country, and be replaced by fiscal unions, civil unions, child-bearing unions, or other legally, and not religeously, defined relationships.

Then marriage can be a ceremony that is performed independantly of the government at whatever non-government institution, and people who have a prejudicial notion of marriage can shove off.

Do you honestly think that is the correct use of those things? To me it's like putting a square peg in a round hole because you're "in love". If it is not right to make laws against what seems to be the obvious correct usage of those things, then what right do you have to make laws againt seemingly more arbitrary things, such as how many parteners you can have or the age of consent?

I am against it.

I'm against "gay marriage" much like I'd be against a constitutional amendment that shears will henceforth be known as scissors. (I reserve the right to be against "gay marriage" for other reasons as well)

I'm certainly in favor of reviewing the benefits enjoyed by traditional families to see if they should also be applied to other arrangements, or even if they should be revoked. However, I would most certainly be against such a review solely for the purpose of seeing if "gay couples" should enjoy the benefits.

I agree with gay marriages - the point of an institution like marriage is a private, and public one. Privately between individuals the state has no right to interfere in how they view their relationship. Publically, a principle of equality must apply in the eyes of the law, and society.

The slippery slope argument is a fallacious one. Either the laws against further forms of relationships are indeed arbitary, and so vulnerable when the arbitary barrier against gay marriages are gone - and so the laws deserve to be changed. Or such laws will continue to be neccessary, and so gay marriages will not be able to influence it. Do we have so little faith in the strength of our own moral principle?

Do you agree with gay marriage?
One might ask, does gay marriage agree with you?

I have found gay couples to be as responsible as straight couples, and fiercely defended by their children (many of whom were considered unadoptable). Part of that responsibility, I believe, should be the right to a civil union allocating financial and other governmental privilages similar to those enjoyed by conventional unions.

I am sure there have been civilizations in the past, if not today, where same-sex unions were a fundamental part of society.

Originally posted by NateTG
In my opinion, marriage, and married should be systematically removed from the laws in this country, and be replaced by fiscal unions, civil unions, child-bearing unions, or other legally, and not religeously, defined relationships.

Then marriage can be a ceremony that is performed independantly of the government at whatever non-government institution, and people who have a prejudicial notion of marriage can shove off.

I totally agree with this. That said, if forced to choose between the status quo and allowing gay marriage, I would allow gay marriage.

1. What is your personal stance on gay marriage?

I believe that everyone should have the right to marry the person they love, regardless of their gender.

2. Do you think gay marriage should be legalized?

Yes, I believe that legalizing gay marriage is a step towards equality and social justice for the LGBTQ+ community.

3. Does legalizing gay marriage have any negative effects?

No, there is no evidence to suggest that legalizing gay marriage has any negative effects. In fact, studies have shown that it can have positive effects on mental health and overall well-being.

4. Is it against nature for two people of the same sex to get married?

No, there is no evidence to support the claim that homosexuality is unnatural. Same-sex relationships have been documented in various species in the animal kingdom, and marriage is a human construct.

5. How does gay marriage affect traditional marriage?

Gay marriage does not affect traditional marriage in any way. Allowing same-sex couples to marry does not diminish the value or validity of traditional marriages. Love and commitment should be celebrated in all forms.